1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First Bass For Adult - UPDATE!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by offmyrocker, Jul 16, 2012.

1. offmyrocker

offmyrocker Guest

May 23, 2012
    New Jersey
    I first posted a thread in May asking about a first bass for an adult. I want to thank all of you who posted/responded to my thread. Having no experience/knowledge, you all helped out tremendously with information. For the budget I had at that time most people recommended the Squire Classic Vibe and the Squire Vintage Modified as my first bass. I did like them both very much. BUT, the best advice (and one I am NOW going to always recommend to someone who was/is in my shoes) I got was to try a bunch and see what felt good to ME in my hands and sounded good to me. That turned out to be the Fender Standard Jazz Bass (MIM). And with it I purchased a used amp (which added more money for the bass, Fender Rumble 60 (got it for $135.00 at a music store). By buying the used amp and adding just a little more to the budget I ended up with the bass I really liked. I had bought this bass and amp last week and now the real fun begins (learning how to play this thing) :help:

Bass & Amp 001.

2. Congratulations! I think I remember your original post.

Excellent choices on your purchases, and good luck with learning. You will now be afflicted with GAS and strong will and intestinal fortitude are required if you intend to ignore its constant pangs.

When they start, check out the Fender Super Bassman with a matching cab or two. Two 410s will be more flexible once you're in a band. And the 2012 American Standards are sweet!:D

Congrats!

3. AllRight!

You did your homework and good on 'ya!

Hard to go wrong with some guidance and the stuff you bought.

The Rumble 60 is a great little rig. The MIM Jazz is hard to beat - good for you trying them out and finding a keeper.

Now, practice - baby, Practice!

The bass looks simple but there is so much to it that it can blow the mind.

Find a good course and stick to it - frustration will appear right away, but if you keep at it and MAKE IT FUN, you are on your way.

Before you know it, you will pick that baby up and make music.

Remember, stick to it and practice every day - if only for 5 minutes when time is tight.

Put her where you can just grab her by the neck and give her a good shake.

and...Always play with FEELING...turn on a drum track and GET INTO THE GROOVE!

again, nice starter setup...the rest is up to YOU!

:)

4. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    A very close friend of mine, and a much more accomplished bass player than myself, has, among others, a MIJ Marcus Miller Jazz bass as his main instrument, and exactly your MIM standard black Jazz bass as his workhorse... Well: he toured half eastern Europe with those two babies on his tourbus bed side. And, when in Italy, I personally watched him with his band supporting a major act, and he was mainly playin' the black MIM standard Jazz. In fact, he happened to indulge on his Marcus Miller signature on the funkier tracks and on soloing forays, whereas playing mostly his black MIM Jazz in band basswork and with pedals and fx.

Enjoy. And welcome onboard.

Cheers,
    Wallace

5. surfaday

surfaday

May 15, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR
    Congratulations!

Also a beginner. I bought, sold, and traded 3 basses before I found my keeper.

You got some great stuff, good luck!

6. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009

You did GOOD! Try it first is the RULE. Note that my main Fender bass (my main basses at present are G&Ls) Is my MIM Deluxe V. And like you I went out trying them ALL. Tried Squiers, MIM, and MIA (no MIJ in town). And like you the MIM beat out even the MIA basses at MUCH more money! It's just about what you find out there.

And your Rumble 60 is a GREAT "practice anp" that you won't be sorry owning. I've got a number of those low watt "practice amps" they sell and they are all basically worthless except for driving headphones. It's good you didn't get sucked in by that like a lot of noobs do and waste money.

My practice amp is a Laney BC75 which is very much like yours. I've used it for years and years. It does the job. Plus it's great for coffee house venues too or even jams. I've got a Fender BXR 200 and that is similar to yours only more power and is a great "small venue" amp. I think Fender bass amps tend to be overlooked.

Yup you did it exactly right. Now all you need to do is start playing bass!

Good luck!

7. offmyrocker

offmyrocker Guest

May 23, 2012
    New Jersey
    Thank you guys for replying. I have to say that the best thing that happened for me during this process was finding out about TALKBASS and being able to come here and ask questions / read other posts and know everyone here shares one main interest and goal - THE BASS. It felt good to go into a store with some knowledge and able to walk into the bass section knowing somewhat what I wanted to do with my time in there.

8. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    It's a sharing experience after all, isn't?

Good to be helpful.
    Now enjoy your bass and rig and let us know of all small/big progresses.

Cheers,
    Wallace

9. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrats on your Fender! While I stand behind all the advice favoring Squier VMs and CVs, cause they are great basses, the FIRST and most important rule to picking a bass is to try them out and get the one that speaks to YOU. Sounds like you did that and got a winner. Now go play the pants off the thing!

10. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Congrats on your new rig. I think if more people approached buying their equipment the way you did, there would be a lot less selling and a lot more playing.