First Bass Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CTC564, Oct 10, 2011.

1. CTC564

CTC564 Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Toms River,NJ
    Back in the early to mid 80's my first rig was a Sunn Concert amp and 2 Sunn 1x15 cabs that had the speakers mounted diagonally inside the cabinet...

What was your first rig?

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    A squier P-bass and a Fender Sidekick amp. Back then that was a 115 combo at about 50 watts or so. I was 13, the band consisted of me, mom and dad. My ratio of money spent on gear vs. money earned playing said gear hasn't been nearly as high since.:D

3. CTC564

CTC564 Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Toms River,NJ
    Wow...great point!!! Now, I gotta come up with an approximate $$$ I spent on gear vs earned playing said gear....

Btw, not a bad rig at 13

I was playing a Sekovia Les Paul copy into a HEATHKIT (DIY electronics amp kit) that my dad built me claiming "it was just as good as those OTHER amps" :)

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I built my own using mom's stereo phonograph. toobz baby. sounded awful, but it worked. My first "real" amp was a Peavey.

5. sanderic

sanderic

Jun 3, 2011
    I had a Gibson EB-1 bass and an early 60's Ampeg B15N.

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    For me that would be circa 1984-85ish. Rocked many a VFW hall with old country and oldtime german polka's, waltzes, and the occasional schottische.

7. CTC564

CTC564 Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Toms River,NJ
    Not bad at all...I didn't start playing out until I was in my early 20's and I blew more 15's than you could shake a stick at with that Sunn Concert...EV, JBL, Gauss...didn't matter, that amp ATE speakers (and no one ever figured out why)

Mid to late 80's I went to an SWR SM-400 with a 4x10 Goliath and a 1x18 Big Ben...

And luckily, I did end up making more $$$ than I spent on gear...but not by much :-D

8. soulman969

soulman969 Inactive

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    First rig ever was a Dano Single Cutaway Bass and a Gibson/Kalamazoo Bass amp. First professional rig was a Fender Bassman with JBL's. coupled with a 66 Jazz Bass.

9. Tom Howland

Tom Howland Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

My first practice amp was a used 1966 B15N.

First big rig, was an Ampeg V4B / V6B 2x15 cab.

10. Solboy

Solboy

Sep 29, 2011
    Plaquemine, La.
    My first rig was a Gilbert Basslines jazzbass copy with a broken G string tuner( so it only had 3 strings) & a Peavey TNT 100 w/ Black Widow that my dad bought for himself in 1975. The amp just went out about 4 yrs ago

11. a cheap short scale J Bass copy (Lero?) that I sank a mudbucker into the neck position and had the original pup rewound (by Dan Torres!) and positioned into the bridge position.

That was fed into a Standel preamp head going into two 2-15 cabs w/the power amps built into the backs. Maybe 100 watts at the most for each. Plenty loud.

The power amps eventually went up in smoke so went w/a used Peavey head but I can't recall the model.

Earned all the money that went into those and frankensteined them myself. Nearly 40 years later still doing the same thing :D

12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Wierd thing is, back then, my going pay was about $50 a night plus some comped soft drinks, burgers/fries, etc. Going rate for a typical bar band in typical smalltown, USA is still about $50 a man plus maybe getting a few drinks comped. The difference? A dollar then could get you a helluva lot more than a dollar does now. It's not that the bands are worth more, they're not, the dollar is worth less, and well on it's way to becoming worthless.:smug:

13. Another 70's child. First amp was a Sunn 200s and a Sunn 2-15 cab with JBL D-140's. Had a Univox black violin bass that was horribly neck heavy.

Later on got a Marshall Lead 100. then upgraded the speakers. First to Cervin Vega (junk, blew them out) and then to JBL K-145's. Later on, after too many beer spills in the Marshall, got a Sunn Colesium 880.

I now have a Yamaha B-100III (with parametric eq's) running through a JBL K-140. Got about $300 invested in my rig. Play for free at church, but I enjoy it.

14. peledog

peledog

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I had the Peavey Basic 60

[​IMG]

15. Session1969

Session1969 Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Aria P-Bass and a Randall 175 watt 15" combo around 1983-84

16. Early 70s Ampeg B15N... and a Sears Christmas catalog Harmony short scale (that my Grandfather rescued from the trash and repaired)... hated both.

Replaced the bass with an Ibanez Destroyer and the amp with a Carvin PB300 and EV12L loaded Kustom 4x12.

17. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    700rb-ii and a neo 112!

(after a stint with a behringer something or other)

18. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Sunn Beta head with Peavy 2-15 cab. Had a '76 Fender Precision with Jbass p/u and Badass bridge. Early 80's.

19. fishstix

fishstix

Feb 28, 2006
    Wisconsin
    I was fortunate in landing a paying gig with my then girl friend's, now wife, dad's wedding band before I had a bass rig. I had a Sound Gear SR800 but no amp. With a paying gig already lined up I bought a Peavy Mark IV and a Hartke 410. I made a bunch of money with that rig before moving on.

20. fourfinger

fourfinger

Apr 17, 2003
    Central Ohio
    Likewise, early 80's. Traynor 1x15 combo was my first amp, followed by a Guild Thunderbird amp, but in those days I played as much guitar as bass. When I got serious about bass I got a Peavey Mark IV head and 1820 cabinet. No fond memories about the bass tone of any of the above.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021