Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First day back

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eric Cameron, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Yes, it's that wonderful time again when all of us larnin'-type peoples must trudge back to our little rooms of torture and intimidation and face another term of school.

So, how was everyone's first day? Or, if it was bland, what is your class schedule for this term?

Today was my MUS205 class on the History of Jazz. This is a great way to start off a term, by listening to John Coltrane and Count Basie for your first class.:D

MUS105 was next, which is Music Appreciation. In other words, classical music. Cool and all, but is there one Music Appreciation class out there that even TOUCHES on the subject or jazz? Or rock, folk, country, hip hop/R&B, african, tribal, or east asian? There ARE other genre's of music, after all.

Tomorrow is my MUS142 class, Electronic Music 2. I have exactly one project, to score, sound effect and dialogue a 5 minute movie clip. Any ideas for a really good clip?

Thursday (and only thrusdays) is my MUS108 Digital Recording class. New building, new recording studio, and new system. I have NO idea how this will be, but it sonuds like fun.

Anyone else?

Rock on
    Eric

2. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I go back tomorrow. I also find out if I passed chemistry last semester. Nothing exciting on my schedule.

3. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I leave tomorrow for school, but classes don't start until next Monday.

My classes this semester are:

PSC 2302 - American Constitution Development (Political Science)
    PHI 1306 - Logic
    LAT 1302 - Elem. Latin II
    BIC 2344 - World Cultures IV (A mixture of history, religion, and art/music appreciation)
    BIC 2340 - Social World II (A mixture of political science and ethics, with a bit of economics and religion thrown in as well)

The BIC classes are without a doubt my favorite. They are all based on primary texts. In World Cultures, instead of being just like regular history, we study everything about a particular time-period. In Social World, we read things like Plato's Republic, Aristotle's Ethics and Politics, and Augustine's City of God. This one is without a doubt my favorite, but that's mainly because I had an incredible prof for the first class, and I was lucky enough to get him again for the second time around :D

This is the first semester that I'm actually looking forward to ALL of my classes. Before, when I was pre-med science major, I dreaded all my classes except the BIC ones. Now, I'm excited for all of them.

4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    First day back... lame.

history...

band...

teachers assistant...

chemistry...

lunch...

geometry...

percussion....

Gah. its so monotonous.

5. I've got the same stuff as last term: music theory, music history, general integrated musicianship, and now vocal methods instead of physics. Hurrah for the exciting life of a first year music major!

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I had to go back to work yesterday but the kids don't come back until Wednesday.

brad cook

7. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I go back tomorrow and I'm really dreading my schedule.

Economics
    Calculus
    Bio 2
    Physics 2
    Shakespeare
    Spanish
    Music Appreciation

All but the last 2 are for AP Credit :crying:

8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, we've got the end-of-semester exams going from 20 Dec to 25 Jan...
    Probability calculus was the first this year, on the 3rd. It's the subject where you're happy you got a 2 and didn't flunk. This is the primary student-flunking subject... :meh: :spit:

Left to go:
    Macroeconomics - 7th
    Prob calc if this failed after all - 10th
    Environmental economics - 12th
    Microeconomincs - 12th
    Prob calc "last chance" - 17th
    Economic psychology - 18th...

:bawl:

My schedule for next year's classes is not definitive yet, but it looks real bad :(

9. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    YES! I'm so happy that I passed chemistry. I was failing when I went into the final and then I passed it and passed the class. I was waiting to hear about that for over 2 weeks.