Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

first gig :)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by rashbeep, Dec 23, 2005.

1. rashbeep

rashbeep

Jul 15, 2005
    Toronto, ON
    well ive had my first gig after 9 months of playing.. played amazing grace by vic wooten, i must say it went pretty well. I was so nervous though, and people say i put a weird face on when i played. Please share your stories of your first gig

2. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    I had played guitar for about 8 years, and bass for about 1 year, but never in a real band. I learned about 40 songs in one week, for a friday/saturday night gig with a friends band. This was sort of a try out gig. I was nervous, not because of the audience, but because I really wanted a regular band to play with. It went well even though the guitar player had to yell chords to me when they played originals.

I remember looking up and seeing girls dancing, and how their moves responded to what I was playing, and that's always really cool. Later on, they started dancing on top of the bar! Ever since then, I look forward to every gig. I only play about 2 or 3 a month, I wish it was more.

Needless to say, I was hooked for life!

3. jjtsucka

jjtsucka

Aug 31, 2004
    my first gig was my elementry school band I played trumbone, my first bass gig was a solo improve thing I did at an high school thing we do Longwood Unplugged it was basically a couple of jaco riffs from Havona and Continum then I changed the rythem and funked it up a bit, at the time I had under a year experience. it went well I was a senior at the time and my younger sis told me that a group of girl were saying I was hot :hyper: unforunatlly she told me that after we got home so no #'s :crying:

4. lol, ya. My first "gig" was the 4th grade "Mother's Day Concert". It was me, a friends that played piano, a friend that played guitar, and a friend that sang. We played "Time of your life" by Green Day, except it was "Thank you dear mother for you" :rollno: I didn't even know what notes I was playing. I had been playing for like 4 months

5. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    9 months and you can play Wooten, you sir have been practicing hard :).

6. My first (and only) gig was at my old schools xmas ball. No real band, just some friends. Played four songs, f****** one up, but it was fun!

7. My first somewhat real gig was at a party,and we were told we were about 40,000,000 times better than the other band.The "crowd" went upstairs(it was in a basement) because we were too loud.So playing to a visible crowd of three people wasn't very fun,but oh well.First and hopefully last time I have to carry a bass drum down a steep stair case that is about 2 feet wide,with a pole at the bottom.Not fun.

8. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    My first gig was the weirdest. I played smoke on the water with 2 friends one on guitar and one on drums in 6th grade (I think or maybe 5th).

Well we were all supposed to sing the lyrics together but when the day came I was the only one who knew them well enough...so I was stuck there singing and playing the bass part...along with playin a solo way high up on the frets...and through a guitar amp with distortion. :p

I thought it went well...but if i saw it now my eyes would probably bleed :smug:

I played at my summer camp that summer and played Wild Thing by The Troggs and an original jazz fusion song with some older kids. Wild Thing was okay.
    The other song didn't have a name but we called the band Funkholio (lead guitarists last name was Florio so it sort of came from that). The bass line is one i still know and love, the first thing I ever came up with that I really liked. ;)