Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

first gig..

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by slapcracklepop, Jan 12, 2006.

1. slapcracklepop

slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Well, I have my first gig sunday. Let me just say I don't think my bass is gigging material right now, the input jack is screwy and I probably won't have time to get it fixed. Do some music stores rent out basses? Is there anyway I can get one just for that night

Suggestions please, thank you

2. borrow one

3. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Here's where a relationship with an established-old local-owned music store can really be valuable. It wasnt' long ago that I had a pot go bad on my bass just before a show, but I was able to go to a local music store that knows me - no problem; they took it back to the shop on-the-spot, and 20min later, I was back in business! ...No labor-charge, just the new potentiometer. I probably don't give this West Bend store $100-worth of business a year, but I make SURE to stop-in at least every few-weeks, and I make sure to say 'hi' to everyone, and visit for a bit.

Just yesterday I was at Uncle Bob's in Milwaukee; an old, established Milwaukee store (THIS is where I do most of my business). As I was walking out, I said to Bob Jr. "hey - I have a mixing session coming up next week, and I could use that old HushIIC over there to process a noisy track". He said "No problem, just come-on-in when you need it!".

It's so cool to 'be a regular'.

Joe

4. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    yes, many stores will rent you a bass. My only suggestion is that you make sure any dings or other cosmetic problems are noted before you take the bass, especially if you don't have a relationship with the store. It just avoids some ugliness when you return it ....... ;)

5. slapcracklepop

slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I just checked a local music store that rents used basses. They had a crappy used selection :(

6. Well, you know the old saying "beggars can't be choosers..." Sometimes making do with for one gig with a relatively crappy bass is about all you can do.

7. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ahh! You should just go-in and fix your bass. If you don't know how to solder, then call-around; I'm sure you can find a friend of a friend who knows how. At worst-case you can just wire a pickup directly to the jack.

It's probably just a connection at the jack.

Remember that you have the 'Pickups and Electronics' geeks to tell you just what to do.

Joe

8. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    The time taken to rent a bass is probably longer than the time to fix an input jack. Fixing an input jack should be such a small job the store can do it immediately. They may charge you a "rush" fee. Still cheaper than renting a bass.

9. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ

+1