1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

first gig..

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by slapcracklepop, Jan 12, 2006.

1. slapcracklepop

slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Well, I have my first gig sunday. Let me just say I don't think my bass is gigging material right now, the input jack is screwy and I probably won't have time to get it fixed. Do some music stores rent out basses? Is there anyway I can get one just for that night

Suggestions please, thank you

2. borrow one

3. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Here's where a relationship with an established-old local-owned music store can really be valuable. It wasnt' long ago that I had a pot go bad on my bass just before a show, but I was able to go to a local music store that knows me - no problem; they took it back to the shop on-the-spot, and 20min later, I was back in business! ...No labor-charge, just the new potentiometer. I probably don't give this West Bend store $100-worth of business a year, but I make SURE to stop-in at least every few-weeks, and I make sure to say 'hi' to everyone, and visit for a bit.

Just yesterday I was at Uncle Bob's in Milwaukee; an old, established Milwaukee store (THIS is where I do most of my business). As I was walking out, I said to Bob Jr. "hey - I have a mixing session coming up next week, and I could use that old HushIIC over there to process a noisy track". He said "No problem, just come-on-in when you need it!".

It's so cool to 'be a regular'.

Joe

4. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    yes, many stores will rent you a bass. My only suggestion is that you make sure any dings or other cosmetic problems are noted before you take the bass, especially if you don't have a relationship with the store. It just avoids some ugliness when you return it ....... ;)

5. slapcracklepop

slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I just checked a local music store that rents used basses. They had a crappy used selection :(

6. Well, you know the old saying "beggars can't be choosers..." Sometimes making do with for one gig with a relatively crappy bass is about all you can do.

7. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ahh! You should just go-in and fix your bass. If you don't know how to solder, then call-around; I'm sure you can find a friend of a friend who knows how. At worst-case you can just wire a pickup directly to the jack.

It's probably just a connection at the jack.

Remember that you have the 'Pickups and Electronics' geeks to tell you just what to do.

Joe

8. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    The time taken to rent a bass is probably longer than the time to fix an input jack. Fixing an input jack should be such a small job the store can do it immediately. They may charge you a "rush" fee. Still cheaper than renting a bass.

9. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ

+1