1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First Gig

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by ken897568, Nov 10, 2010.

1. ken897568

ken897568

Aug 19, 2007
    staten island
    Just got a call from the lead singer, and he told me we have our first gig. It's a small club and we have to do a 2 hours worth of music. That's not a problem. Just very nervous. Can you guys give me some tips.

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Yep!
    1) posting in the right forum.

3. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Anyway, just kidding. Well, i moved your thread... but... ah whatever.

Have the TIME OF YOUR LIFE on stage. You'll forget about the people in the crowd, but they'll be drawn to you. The first thing people say to me after a gig is "It was SO much fun watching you play" which means the world to me.

Obviously, before that make sure you know your stuff. Memorize tunes asap. internalize them and really FEEL them.

I just can't stress enough that even if you are nervous, don't let the crowd know it. Jump around, dance, sing along to the songs. The crowd will LOVE it, and soon you'll be addicted to being on stage.

4. ken897568

ken897568

Aug 19, 2007
    staten island
    Sorry I made a mistake. I will just stay away next time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Work with the nervousness. Your first gig is like riding a roller coaster. It's terrifying, and fun as hell! That wears off all too soon. Enjoy it for what it is. Make sure you're practiced, remember to breathe (don't over play), and have a blast!

One thing to bear in mind that I've learned over 20 some odd years of playing in front of people; No one notices or cares if you screw something up. They all think you're superman, so don't sweat a few clams here or there.

One more thing; Nervous people that have a drink to calm their nerves tend to way over do it. Drink as many as they buy you after you're done playing, but be mindful of your intake before you hit the stage.

6. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    He was only joking bro... Just relax and enjoy!!!!

7. Move around, be happy, and don't stare at your fretboard all night.

It's OK to mess up. Shrug it off and keep going. Do not, under any circumstances, stop playing.

Make eye contact with the hottest girl in the audience.

8. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I get that one a lot myself, but mostly because I tend to drool and make stoopid faces.

Yeah, I guess with a face like Marks, it's bound to happen a lot.......

9. ken897568

ken897568

Aug 19, 2007
    staten island
    Thank you guys!!! I will let you know how it goes.

10. joshwilkesbooth

joshwilkesbooth

Jul 17, 2009
    Rock out! If you blow a bassline or two shrug it off and have a good time.

11. Ripley

Ripley

Oct 25, 2010
    Decorah, Iowa
    If you're not having fun, the crowd won't have fun; so remember why you joined a band - Fun!

Make sure you have some kind of set list. No one enjoys watching a band stand around bickering about what's next. Keep the momentum up.

Don't noodle around on your instrument between songs. Share that advice with your bandmates.

This will sound silly, but a time will come when you'll realize its importance: Take a leak before you play (especially if you indulge in a few beers before show time). And keep your indulging to a minimum until after the show.

And, again, have fun!

12. ...and try to #2 before you leave for the venue. Not much sucks more than pooping at a bar.

13. HAHAHAH
    Unspoken rule......put into words!

14. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    That's great advice and I'm going to expand on it a little bit: Forget about mistakes as quickly as you can. Thinking about them will only cause you to make more mistakes. My brother the motorcyclist says that when you're riding and there's only one tree around as far as the eye can see, if you watch it, you'll hit it. Think ahead, not backward.

And relax and have fun.

KO

15. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    More importantly, how old are you?

16. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Nothing beats thorough preparation. Practice what you have to practice - if you are *ready* for the show, and you *know* it, everything else is gravy.

17. Youngspanion

Youngspanion Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    I remember my first gig. I was scared and I actually hated the time I was on stage. Afterward, and I mean almost immediately, I was thrilled. I was hooked. Like a drug. I needed to get back on stage asap.

Just try to relax as much as you can and remember, it will all be over soon.

Have fun!

18. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Drink allot ..I mean heavy, get sloppy drunk. This way if you can still play and mess up at least you have an excuse. This also allows you to be free and not care and to rock out :bassist:

jk :smug: be prepared,relax, look like your are having fun and don't worry over a clam... live it up. Good Luck!

19. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Bring a friend who is willing to take a few pictures. You'll never have another first gig.

20. All good points, but especially about forgetting clams, keep playing NO MATTER WHAT, and take a crap before you get to the show. That advice is just gold!

And if you're band mates get upset about some clams or problems with how a song went, just tell them to chill out, it's only music, and that no one died. It's all good.