1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

First Gig

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by DSims63, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Well I did it. I had my first gig yesterday and I survived! I was so nervous the first song I made all kinds of mistakes but I didn't stop and kept it off my face and made it thru. We actually were invited to do more shows so it had to have been all right. Thanks to everyone on Talkbass forum for all the advice and encouragement, it was very helpful.

2. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Awesome!!! Great job there. It sucks when mistakes are made but that's the trick, you just keep on going. I still get nervous when I play. I think you always will. Gotta use that energy towards playin.

3. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    That's awesome! Jitters, and mistakes I might add, come with the territory. Kudos for powering through them.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Congrats!

If it makes you feel any better, check this out for a first gig story. I was 15 years old. (Everyone else in the band was at least 30.) I was playing at a club that had a country room and a rock room. There was another band with the same name only one state over. The owner booked us thinking we were them. So here we were a classic rock band booked in the country room. Nobody was happy about it. Not us, not the owner, not the staff, not the audience. When we finally got ready to play our last song, the bouncer walked up to the stage and put a humongous chrome revolver on the stage and said "You boys is cutn it awf raht now." I have never been so scared in my life. Again, I was 15 and I weighed about 150 soaking wet.

Good times.

Congrats on not having a gun pulled on you your first time out! I wish you many more successful gigs!

5. Wow! That would have scared the crap out of me too. Sounds like something that might have happened at Bobs Country Bunker in the Blues Brothers movie. Was there chicken wire in front of the stage? ;)

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Nope. But chicken wire DID hold the insulation in the ceiling.

7. soitainly

soitainly

Aug 21, 2012
    My first real gig I was so nervous I ran to the bathroom multiple times thinking I was going to barf. I "survived" as you said, and in retrospect, enjoyed myself. After many years I still get nervous, and still make numerous mistakes, but enjoy it more and more each time. The first time is the hardest, it only gets better after that. Congratulations!

8. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I would have been 15 or 16 and there is no doubt we were all under the influence of one thing or another. The previous weekend there was a metal band ( Remember this would have been about 1984) who was kind enough to allow us to sit in during their break. We played a blues song that my guitar player and I had written a few days earlier. After our song the bar owner approached us and asked us to play the following weekend. The band who let us sit in had been scheduled for that weekend too and they were not real happy about it, but we were young, violent punks and they decided to let it alone. Anyway, the following weekend we were booked for Friday and Saturday night. Friday night rolls around and we had everyone we knew there. The place was at capacity with a parking lot full of minors partying. They were expecting a blues band only we weren't a blues band. We opened up with War Pigs and continued on with stuff like "Make it last, Got to Choose, Over the Hills and Far Away, Snowblind, Gimme Back My Bullets, etc. By the end of the night they were telling us to turn it down or we wouldn't be paid, which we did. The pay was $200/night plus free beer. First night went off fine, but by the end of the night Saturday they were insisting that we drank more beer then what we were being paid and they refused to pay. The problem for them was that Archie ( The owner, now dead of HIV from sharing needles) was a guy that hung in the same circles we did. Bottom line, 2 days later we got our pay and Archie voluntarily quit hanging around in the aforementioned circles.

Ah, the bad ol' days.

Anyway, congrats on breaking the ice. The nerve thing only gets easier from here, however, the gas and endless tweaking of the tone, the PA, the show,etc. only gets worse.

9. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Anyway, congrats on breaking the ice. The nerve thing only gets easier from here, however, the gas and endless tweaking of the tone, the PA, the show,etc. only gets worse.[/QUOTE]

+1!!!!

10. madurolover

madurolover

May 21, 2011
    Tampa Fl
    Welcome to the new world of gigging musicians. Your out of the garage and have learned more in one night as a band than you have in the last year. You know what works and what needs proactice. This changes the focus of your practices and your dreams of gigs will advance to the next level.

11. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    Congrats on the successful 1st gig. Dont sweat the mistakes..its how you recover from them that makes you a good musician. ;)

Also..ive been gigging for years and Im still always a lil nervous durin the 1st song. ;)

12. Congrats. You have that under your belt.

As for the mistakes, there's an old saying.

"You're never as bad as you think and you're never as good as you think."

Ok, that's a stupid saying. But congrats again!

13. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Not stupid. Extremely accurate.;)

14. richntiff

richntiff Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Northern Wisconsin
    Congrats on your first gig - I doubt anyone has ever played a whole night without making at least one mistake!

15. madurolover

madurolover

May 21, 2011
    Tampa Fl
    As Joe Walsh says, you suck at first one then you suck less every other time

16. Trayster2

Trayster2

Aug 13, 2012
    Palm Coast, FL
    Yaaaayyy! Congrats! Can't wait to play my first someday. Got any first-gig advice? Can't wait to hear more about it.

17. Just keep listening to these guys on the forum, I received nothing but good advice here. If I would add anything it would be to believe in what you are playing, sincerity goes a long way.

18. richntiff

richntiff Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Northern Wisconsin
    Best advice- HAVE FUN.

19. tmdazed

tmdazed

Sep 29, 2012
    AWESOME, I cant hardly remember my first gig (really, I was drunk off my ass) lol , seriously , great job , mistakes happen , hell I have done hundreds of gigs since the 80's and make mistakes at almost every show, no one notices, if the tunes are familiar people slack jaw over them for the most part. Keep on the track and no trainwrecks, things will be all right

20. Way to go! Keep practicing and have fun! (or is that keep practicing or have fun!) ;)