Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

first performance!

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by Billdog, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Billdog

Billdog

Feb 27, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    My first public performance is Sun. the 16th. I've just started string bass this semester, so I'm super-scared. While I've only got one little ditty, I'd like any advice you can give me so I don't screw up! (I just got the piece yesterday, so I don't even know it yet.)
    Thanks.

2. I'd say practice it until you've got it down cold: decide all the fingerings, bowings you're going to use and don't be messing around changing them at the last minute.

Also very helpful to play it for an audience of some kind well before the performance; your family, your sig. oth., your dog. Playing it alone in the shed is one thing, playing in front of people is another, I've discovered.

Try to have fun!

3. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Being scared means you care, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with caring about music and your performance coming up.

When I intend to play something well for the public, my trick is to play it over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over (and over) until I'm playing it exactly the way I want to hear it all the time...and playing it is finally no more of a mental and physical strain than eating in a restaruant when I'm hungry. It's the only practical trick I know to remove the heebie jeebies from my tummy entirely.

Good luck and savor this experience!

4. Billdog

Billdog

Feb 27, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks. I appreciate it. I'll try to get it down pat, but I have three tests this week :(. I'll do my best to make you guys and gals proud and let you know how it turns out!

5. Billdog

Billdog

Feb 27, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    I just finished the recital, and it went well. Just about as expected. I played a couple notes up top a little out of tune but kept the rhythm going and recovered no problem. I can't wait to actually start performing on a regular basis cause this was fun.

6. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Congrats Billdog!

7. Billdog

Billdog

Feb 27, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks. From what I've heard, and the way it feels, it's definitely good to get that first performance out of the way.