First practice with Ampeg RB-210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kerry Brown, Dec 3, 2022.

1. Last week I traded my Traynor SB-110 in on an Ampeg RB-210. Finally got to try the RB-210 at a band practice last night. It is awesome! Nothing against the Traynor SB110. It did me proud for over a year but the Ampeg has a much fuller sound. I dialled in a very mild mid scoop. The Ibanez SRFF805 has never sounded better. I was actually playing at less volume than I did with the Traynor and was heard in the mix better. We play a few 60's songs, Paul Revere, Monkeys, Yardbirds, etc. The Ampeg very much gets the right tone for those. We also do some Tom Petty. I really like playing on the low B string for Petty songs but the Traynor struggled a bit with the lows. The Ampeg was full and loud on the B. I will miss the very light weight of the Traynor but the Ampeg at 39 lbs is still manageable. Can't wait to try it at a gig. We have a house party gig coming up.

2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Good to hear. But if 39 pounds is too much weight for you to schlep to a gig, you probably shouldn't be gigging.

3. I’m 68 and have been packing heavy gear for many years. A few years ago an ear infection damaged a nerve and I now get dizzy spells which is exacerbated carrying a load. Being able to carry my gear in/out is a very important consideration for me. My limit to carry something more than a few steps is around 50 lbs. More than that and I’m likely to trigger vertigo and a fall.

4. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I’ve gotten to try the 110, 112 and 210 in store, and thought they all sounded awesome. Glad to hear (another) favorable report from a band setting. Enjoy!

tindrum and Kerry Brown like this.
  5. The 110 worked great until I bought the SRFF805 5 string long scale fan fret. I use a .145 B and the 110 was Ok with it but it the Ampeg is much better. The Ampeg also suits the 60’s songs better. I love the bass line in this song and the Ampeg rocks it.

6. E2942

E2942

Jan 25, 2022
    When I read band practice instead of rehearsal, I think about teens in high school who carried their trumpet around & are always talking about how they have band practice after school.

bassliner50, 96tbird and Kerry Brown like this.
  7. You are right it was a rehearsal. We were working on a set list for our next gig.

BOOG likes this.
  8. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I got ya, but 39 pounds is 20% less. My 212 cab is about the same weight, and a head under 5.

9. kentiki

kentiki

May 14, 2008
    I have one and an Ampeg 1x15 extension speaker (which I haven't needed yet). It sounds good, I think you'll like it.

Kerry Brown likes this.
  10. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    Rock bands practice too; theater companies rehearse a play.

Mike Watt said it best:
    Why I practice and actors rehearse (Mike Watt)

Blues Bass 2 and David A. Davis like this.
  11. E2942

E2942

Jan 25, 2022
    I practice at home & rehearse with the band.

12. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    Sunny California
    I'll turn in my resignation as I schlep my bass, wireless IEM system, G10s, a few cables, and a clip-on tuner.

13. I lust after the Traynor SB110 that you recently sold, Those are very pricy or unavailable in my area. I am also glad you are pleased with the new Ampeg.

Kerry Brown and butterfingers1 like this.
  14. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    My impression is OP was not gigging with that kind of PA. But yes, that is good (unless youare schlepping and setting up that PA with subwoofers).

15. [​IMG]

Plectrum72 and roborend like this.
  16. Sorry to hear about your health struggles. I had a bout with vertigo a few months ago.

17. Just another Ampeg testimonial :thumbsup:
    If I were still gigging..... and I'm not.... I would probably be playing through a rocket bass combo.
    I'll just live vicariously through you. :bassist:

Kerry Brown and Lammchop93 like this.
  18. butterfingers1

butterfingers1

Apr 22, 2019
    Montreal
    The Traynor Small Block 110 120W isn’t really comparable to the Ampeg Rocket Bass 210 500W. But for its size it sounds very “big” and full and loud, and it is expensive because of its very high quality, and it’s made in Canada.

The new Traynor Big Block 115 400W (800W with extension speaker) is the comparable one to the Rocket Bass 210, but it blows it away, and is much more expensive.

I’m a Traynor guy (surprise!) but I’m very interested in the new Rocket Bass amps, they sound and look really nice.

eriky4003 and Nille like this.
  19. The Traynor SB110 was an amazing amp. I did quite a few gigs with it. It could keep up with two guitars and a drummer for pub gigs. Outdoors I used it as a stage monitor with a DI to the PA. I lucked into a sweet deal on an Ibanez SRFF805 bass and fell in love with it. The Traynor didn’t have enough oomph for the long scale B string. It sounded OK but it needed more gas.

butterfingers1 likes this.
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I hear you. I had to switch fully over to light stuff last year. Always amazes me how much balls people have when they put down people for using light gear before knowing the first thing about their situation.