Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cerpin Taxt, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Cerpin Taxt

Cerpin Taxt

Jun 12, 2005
    First off, I want to give a big hearty 'hello' to everyone here at Talkbass. As you can see, I am a new poster, having only discovered this site about week or so ago. :p

Now, on to the real reason for my first post: I'm buying my first Precision bass! Up until now, I've played mainly Jazz basses. My main bass is the Marcus Miller signature bass, which I absolutely love. However, in recent months I've begun to lust after a thicker tone and tougher feel that is more suited to straight rock. I've played quite a few basses since then, and I've finally made up my mind that my next purchase needs to be a P-Bass!

This, however, has brought me to a slightly into more nuanced perdicament: what type of P do I choose? My price limit is about $1,500, so I've been looking at the following options:

-An American Precision
    -An Deluxe Precision (<--- Not sure how I feel about the Active PUs on this)
    -A good old road worn P, probably from the late seventies or eighties.
    -The 62 Reissue.

Can any of you kind folks be able to provide me with some feedback concerning these models, or possibly suggest some options that I've overlooked? Any help at all would be much appreciated.

-Taxt

2. Y'know, they're all good basses. I'm a big believer in leg work. Get round as many stores as you can, and try as many basses as you can. You'll find the one that's right for you soon enough.

3. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    If you get a chance, check out a Lakland Bob Glaub model.... :bassist:

4. gojirin

gojirin

Oct 11, 2004
    Denver,CO
    I agree with the above - try as many as possible and see which grabs you. The Deluxe P has some great tone variations and is one of the few actives I would consider. I happen to like the MIJ P's, too. Many use the same pu's as the MIA's and have the same quality of construction.
    As far as late 70's and 80's Fenders in general, buyer beware - not the best Fender years as you may know. That being said a friend has a p/j California P(correction on the name?) that is from the mid-80's and a joy to play.

If you have a chance try the Lakland Skyline Glaub( I'm drooling for one...), too. I am considering putting the Fralin pup they use
    into my Frankenfender P...

5. TAKE THE VEIL! :bassist:

Seriously though, if you're getting a Precision, get a passive precision, preferably without the new S-1 Switch, as I feel it compromises the allure of a traditional Precision.

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

At $1500 bucks, you should be able to do better than a late 70's Precision...I would think you could get into an early 70's Precision in decent shape, and I think their build quality is better.

Also, for that kind of money you could build yourself a nice Warmoth or USACG precision that was a tonal and visual killer.

I'd probably opt for the custom build thing myself...

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Shop around, they're ALL hit or miss, that's what Fender is! Get out there, play as many vintage Fenders as you can and you'll find a gold mine for not too bad a price. I paid about $900 for my '78 and it is my holy grail. No doubt about it. I played another where the serial is VERY close to mine, played like hell.

8. Ditto - I love mine, and it's just a Lakland Skyline (half the price you are willing to pay) . With the Raven Labs preamp and Lindy Fralin pickups, it just kills. :bassist:

9. Cerpin Taxt

Cerpin Taxt

Jun 12, 2005
    The 62 reissue seems to have some nice specs, and I've read many good reviews. Has anyone played one of these?