Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

first rig, please help me

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AshenBassist, Feb 19, 2006.

1. hey, i'm new here and just wanted to ask a quick question...

i only have a tiny 15watt hartke amp and NEED to get upgraded.

at first i was thinking about a combo in the 100+ range, but now...

i want a rig! or atleast a start, so i was thinking about a decent 4x10 and a head. my little amp simply doesn't do my new bass justice. it's an ESP b-2005 (active EMG's, mohagony, etc). i am incredibly broke and do not make money fast at all. so i was wondering if you guys had any suggestions...

so far i'm thinking about either an Ashdown MAG 300r or a 400watt head from yorkville. i'm looking for volume first and foremost followed by sound (obviously). i have a chunkier, gritty sound. i play metal and my bandmates let me be heard (really) so i want to wow them. My little 15 watt amp is belching and farting at loud volumes and thus i need something better. thxs in advance.

2. Avatar, Steelsound or Behringer are your best bets for cabs.

Cheap.

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    If you can afford the yorkville xs400h, you really can't go wrong. That is a huge step up from 15W. The resale value should be good too.

You might want to look at Avatar Speakers. You can get them in Canada from Steamco Music. A 4x10 will cost you just over $500CDN + $50 shipping + tax.

I would recommend a 2x12 though. I feel, and some will argue otherwise, that you get more lows from 12s. And in metal, you want all the lows and low mids you can get.

4. punkindrublic

punkindrublic

Dec 10, 2005
    Go for the Behringer ultrabass 4x10 and the bx4500h ultrabass head.... Cheap...... A lot of people frown on behringer bass amps, but ive been to a few shows where some dudes were getting some suprising levels out of them... Not the best, but for a 200 head and 300 cab what do you expect?

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    In Canada the Yorkville amps are a good choice. easy to get serviced if you ever need to, although they are very reliable. Don't discount the Yorkville cabinets either. They are a very good bargain.

6. That's exactly what I've got and I love it. I have played Fender J and P through it as well as my old faithful Ibanez Roadster and it kicks. Tons and tons of punch, loud as hell, and quite flexible with the shape control. I would go the BB410 - warmer and not as tinny sounding as the aluminium cones, and there have been reports of the alum cones separating in Behringer, Hartke, etc.

The other Behringer which is great value for money is the BX1200 combo. Very surprising amp, much lighter than the 410 and loud as well. Same shape control. Don't overlook their combos.

Only recommendation, and I would say this of any brand amp, is play the amp you take home in the shop first and make sure it is ok, then play it to pieces for a couple of weeks to shake anything loose that's going to come loose. Mine has been perfect but some folks complain about things breaking once they get it home. In my experience with anything electrical, if it's going to blow up it will usually do it very quickly, or the day after the warranty runs out ;-)

7. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    I got the same bass and the Ashdown Mag 300H with a 4x10 cab. Sounds awesome. Our rehearsel room seems to suck out a lot of bass though. So I'm thinking about getting a 1x15 cab too...

8. Thank you everyone for the quick responses, so far you guys have been really helpful. so far i'm looking at the 2x12 avatar cab...
    aswell i'm pretty much set on the yorkville xs400h, i've played it in a combo with a 15" and it was awesome, really liked having both tube and solid state.

Which 4x10 were you using Willem? Ashdown?

9. Mach1FT

Mach1FT

Jan 5, 2006
    Manchester NH
    I'd check out the carvin stuff as far as the cabs... ive got a 4x10 and a 1x18 that I bought 15 years ago and still haven't gotten a rattle out of them.. I cooked 1 of the 10's once about 8 years ago, but I was playing with a guitar player that needed to have 4 marshalls on stage for some reason..

10. ghindman

ghindman

Feb 10, 2006
    I don't think you'd be happy with an Ashdown head in a modern metal band - they have more a vintage british tube tone. If it's more old-school Sabbath sorta metal, it might be what you're looking for. For straight up metal, I'd try to find a used 300-500 watt Ampeg head, and get an Avatar 2x12 to go with it.

11. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
  12. +1 on the york head and avtar 4x10

13. m1k3_88

m1k3_88

Jan 23, 2005
    I have a yorkville XS400H and an Avatar B410 Neo cab. It was also my first "rig" and it sounds beautiful together. Plan on throwing the Head in a rack with a power conditioner + tuner within the next month.

14. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

+1

15. Gk backline stuff is pretty good . just a little more expensive than behringer stuff but worth it

16. wow! thanks again!
    a question about the Neo's, i know they take off the weight a lot which is great, but would you guys say they're worth the added price? will i be sacrificing any tone? anything esle i should watch for?
    i'm going in next weekend to long & mcquade to see if i can't play that yorkville head. If only i had money! then i'd grab that 800watt yorkville... o well. as i say, really low budget, preferably $1000 and under

thanks again!

17. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    jup that's what I use...
    Normally I check out a lot before I buy, but not with this rig. I plugged in and fell in love... :eyebrow: :)
    I play in a metal band and do not think it doesn't suit our style... I want my bass clear sounding in the highs and a little sloppy in the lows. It gives me that. So I'm happy with it... But it depends on personal taste of course.

18. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    avatar 2 10 kappa pro with a mag 300 from them

together, itll run ya 600

not bad at all.

and plenty loud. you can always add a 2 12 later. and be set for a long long time.

and large combos suck cos they are heavy.

19. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Why exactly do you NEED to upgrade? :confused: