1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First Rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Soulnsync, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Hey guys,

I recently got a Marcus Miller replica Fender Jazz 5 and eden wtx500 amp as a gift:hyper: in place of my very first amp a bugera bvp550 and ibanez gsr :bawl:. It was my first. I play for a local church and mostly came out of the house cause I only had 110. I have since progressed in my playing and am looking to do more to establish a presence over in the corner between keys and drums. I'm thinking of getting 212s as the church is medium sized. I prefer a nice warm sound with impressive lows and highs as necessary. All my friends say GK 212 and Aguilar GS are the way to go, but I could use a little insight from experience. Building may take a while so are 212s a good stand alone? Any help is appreciated.:help:

2. What is your budget?

3. about 600 to start.

4. 212's do very well as a stand alone. I been using a G-K NEO212 II for about 85% of my gigs.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Buy once, cry once. Save your back, too. Bergantino CN212.

6. I second the 8 Ohm GK 212.

If you budget can grow a bit, an 8 Ohm greenboy Bassic15 with a 15PR400 would be my choice as a smaller stand alone cab.

7. If I was going to spend $1200 on a cab, it wouldnt be a 212... JMHO

8. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
    Ampeg just released a 212 I think?

But for 600$ you could just buy a used ampeg 8x10 and bet set forever.....:bag:

9. The GK and Aggie cabs are VERY different sounding beasts. For 'warm with impressive lows and highs as needed', and a very efficient cab to get the most from your wtx500, I'd suggest you listen to an Eden 210 XST at 4 ohms. Compact, great lows, and will fill most gigs.

As many, many have said here before, let the sound be your guide, not the speaker size.

10. Thanks guys, sounds like my best bet for my budget mayb the gk212. Would you recommend stacking like 2 gk212? or mixing gk115. Looking to buy something to build on as I go you know.

11. The best pairing for a cab, is a second identical cab.

12. oh ok thanks. I had no idea. Why is that? (if you dont mind explaining) Still learning.

13. Do a search in this forum. There are about 40,000 threads covering the topic in better detail than I care to via smart phone. :D

14. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Mixing speaker cab sizes is a subject that has been hashed and re-hashed on this forum ad nauseum. A quick search will turn up all of the info you'd ever want. It has to do with phase cancellation between the speakers, unequal power distribution, etc.

I just stopped by to let you know that I really like my new GK Neo 410 cabinet. This single 4 ohm cabinet will cover all the small to medium sized gigs I'll ever play, considering the bigger gigs will have full sound support. If you get the 8 ohm version of this cab you can add another later if you need to push more air. (Most amps like to see no less than a 4 ohm total load. Two 8 ohm cabs connected in parallel equal a 4 ohm total load.)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I know - it'd be some sort of Peavey.

16. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    Something like a GK MBEII 212 would be good:

GK212_1_zpsbe69949e.

17. My church is having convocation this week and I played through eden 410s as one of the bands bass player brought his rig. So he allowed me to play the rest of the night. WOW! the 410s were strong and definetly cut through. Should I be thinking bigger?

18. kikstand454

kikstand454

Sep 28, 2012
    There's no denying the awesomeness of a good 410.
    There's no denying their size and weight either.
    That would completely be a personal call as to how much transportation woes you are willing to put up with.
    There are certainly smaller and lighter 410s available.

19. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    There are more portable options for 4x10s now, though -- at least enough to compete with 2x12s. My Markbass 104HR sounds as good as any cab I've ever come across, and it's more or less the same size and weight as my older 2x10 or 1x15 cabs.

20. Abrahampost

Abrahampost

Feb 22, 2013
    Vermont
    Aguilar GS212 has been my stand alone cab for years and it does a great job of carrying a room. I keep picking up different cabs thinking I want something different and always find my way back to the Aguilar. That being said the GS series definitely has a certain character to it that not everyone loves so definitely try one out first.