Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First time Bassist, dont know anything

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Newbie, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Newbie

Oct 20, 2004
    :bassist: Heya, Ive been asked to be a bass guitar player in a band and i have no idea how to play at all. I cant read music, i dont know scales, i know nothing about music in general. Ive got a guitar, ive got an amp, and ive got time. Any tips on were to start?

2. Get a bass and an amp

3. Newbie

Oct 20, 2004
    Ive got those

4. Wasabi1264

Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    President: MusicDojo.com
    Check out MusicDojo.com. They have a course called Bass First Steps that could help you out.

5. Newbie

Oct 20, 2004
    :bassist: Thanks, Ill check it out :hyper:

6. Sorry, misunderstood your post

7. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I had the same situation. Once you make the switch, you never go back. Two things that are important to me:
    1. Getting good tone
    2. Grooving with the drummer

Enjoy bass, it's an incredible instrument. One other thing, keep practicing guitar if possible.

8. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
  9. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Newbie, this only applies to you if you were formerly a guitarist, which I suspect to be the case.

The guitar and bass guitar only look alike, they are not very similar instruments at all. The most important thing to remember is that the role of the bass guitar in popular music is vastly different from the role of guitar.

Do not treat them as the same instrument, they are not.

I highly recommend a teacher by the way, at least for 2-3 lessons, to get you set with your technique and some basics.

10. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Ill second the above. A teacher will really help you develope proper technique, wheras playing on your own you can possibly develope bad habbits that are much harder to correct once ingrained. Get a teacher asap, so you start off on the right track.

11. Newbie

Oct 20, 2004

12. CJK84

CJK84

Jan 22, 2004
    Maria Stein, OH
    Newbie,

Best advice, as others have mentioned, is to get a teacher.

A bass teacher, that is. You can get hurt playing the bass if you're using poor technique - which is the case with many beginners (my fretting hand seems to be permanently messed up a bit).

Secondly, listen to recordings and begin figuring out the bass parts by ear. Arduous work for a new player, I know, but well worth it.

Thirdly, begin playing with other musicians asap.

Good luck to you. Playing bass can be a lot of fun.