Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First time MTD 535 owner

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nonsqtr, May 30, 2004.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Over the years I've learned that walking into a bass store with money is a dangerous thing. Take today, f'r instance. I spied this really nice MTD 535, tried it for about three minutes, and bought it on the spot. Why? Don't ask me, I don't know. I need another bass like I need a hole in the head. And I'm going to catch all kinds of grief tomorrow morning. But this is a VERY NICE bass. I'm very impressed. I tried four MTD 535's in the last week, and this one surpasses all the rest by a long mile. It has an ash body, and an ash neck (that's right, one of a handful that Mike made recently). Maple board, and maple top (what they call "blister maple", which is actually quite quilt-like). I couldn't resist that faded blue jean look. The bass was calling out to me when I was in the store, I could hear it, teasing, quietly, "buy me, buy me". Guess I'm just a sucker for a nice bass. I should probably go to Gasaholics Anonymous. :)

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Cool bass, if it was a four string and wasn't blue stain I probably would have gassed over it too.

Hope you get off light as far as retaliation for your purchase :D

3. Ash neck? Interesting.

I'll have to ask the obvious question: how does it sound?

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yeah, me too, I'm curious. But I can guess: clear, bright, punchy and a bit agressive attack

Looks very nice! :cool:

Could you post a pic of the entire bass? :hyper:

5. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA

Yes. You nailed it. Quite punchy, great slap sound, nice and consistent when switching between fingerstyle and slap. Here's a (bad) pic of the entire bass, I'll try taking another one tomorrow and will post it as soon as it's available.

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Sweeeeeet! :D

7. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Your a lucky dude, I wish I could've lost my virginity to something that sexy.

Congrats, that bass is AWESOME.

8. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Nice bass, and I love the top!
    Did you do any research on Ash necks by chance? I'm curious how the stability is, and why it's not chosen more for a neck wood?

9. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Well, I asked about that. Supposedly the neck was made from a special batch of ash that was dried in a special way. I'm not a luthier and don't know from woodworking, but I do know Mike has an excellent reputation and makes some stellar basses, and he said it'll work, so... If anything bad happens, I'll be sure to let y'all know. :)

10. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Okay, well, the first review are in. The verdict is: this is one very nice instrument. I think I lucked out this time. That is to say, Michael got this one right. I'm tracking with it here in the studio at the moment, and these tracks are sounding AWESOME. Unbelievably good. We're going straight into the line input on the board. This bass is really hot, I think the preamp must be near top output, but it sounds good that way, the tone controls are really responsive throughout the entire range of the volume control. This is a superb instrument. It has a perfect balance between solid bottom end, and funkiness, and playability. It's incredibly responsive. From a technical standpoint, I'd have to say the precision and tolerances easily rival an Alembic, the neck, fingerboard, and fret work are so precise it's just amazing, it's really a pleasure to play. Really it's a great instrument. The MTD strings are on there at the moment, and I see no need to change, they sound perfect. You can dial up pretty much any sound you want on that bass. Good job Mike.

11. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    That's one very nice bass. Have you got some soundclips by any chance?

12. Sure is purdy.

13. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Really nice bass. Glad you're digging it. Makes me "jones" for mine

I have one on the way.
    Ash Body
    Ash Neck
    Maple Board
    "Rose of Mountain" top

I was suprised at how nice, even and responsive the Ash neck is.

Mike

14. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    Ditto, it sure would be nice to hear that thing with the Ash neck, I've read about the MTD's with the Ash neck and from what I read it's what I like in a bass - clear, bright and agressive.

15. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    All I know is, I love how Mr Tobias gets those fantastic burls to look,, in a production bass.

16. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999

My first impression was that the ash neck was very aggressive -really good for rock. But I play solo, with lots of looping, chord melodies, etc and find that the ash neck's articulation and even tone are great (at least on the 2 that I played in his shop)

Mike

17. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Production Bass???

18. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Those basses are made 100% by hand. :rollno:

19. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Well... yea...

But, by that I mean, generally available to the public... It sure seems as if availablity isn't an issue... If you want one, you can generally get your hands on one....

In NO way, do I mean to imply that they're made on some sort of production line or anything....

20. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Talked with Mike T last week - wait time is about 8 months