1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fishman Bp-100 Double bass pickup

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Gank, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Gank

Gank

Feb 14, 2019
    I have 1/2 scale double bass and I want install fishman bp-100 pickup.
    But I'm worried about size problem.
    1/2 scale double bass bridge is smaller than 3/4 scale double bass.
    So does anyone know about this? Is this pickup can be installed 1/2 scale double bass?

2. The size of a 1/2 and 3/4 sitze bass is much smaller than you might think. So I think it should fit.

But on the other hand very few basses sound good with a BP100, so if you don't own one yet, you might have a look through older threads about pickups and get something that has a better chance to work on your instrument. It depends on budget, music style, band volume and of course the instrument (including string selection), so if you tell a bit more what you like to do, you can get more specific responses.

3. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri

I own a 5/8th's Mirecourt Bass, the BP-100 sounded terrible on that really nice instrument, but the Mensur of my bass is 41" so that's pretty standard, but the scale shouldn't make

a lot of difference. You'd be far better off getting the Realist, Realist Life Line, Yamahiko or the KNB-1 Cremona that's very inexpensive.

lurk likes this.
  4. Or a K&K BassMax, or Hurley Single shot, which are also good inexpensive wing pickups, in particular the Hurley.
    Where are you located by the way?

5. Gank

Gank

Feb 14, 2019
    I mostly play jazz, and I need some natural sound pickup(like Christian mcbride's sound).
    But I don't like mic style pickups like myers or DPA, because of feedback problems.
    Do you have any good idea?

6. Gank

Gank

Feb 14, 2019
    Thanks. I'll remember that.

7. Gank

Gank

Feb 14, 2019
    I'm a korean in korea.
    In korea, most of bass player use realist pickup so I never heard real sound sample of the other pickups.
    So thank you for your suggestion. I'll check it out.

8. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    The KNB-1 Cremona is on the TB site

9. The Realist is the other end of the spectrum, very dark. Nothing I would recommend.
    Something between bridge wing and bridge foot would be nice. The Lifeline is also a bit on the darker side. The Bassmax kills some highs because of the plastic coating. I prefer to use EQ to reduce the highs if needed.

Best pickup sound without using something on the top of the bass is probably Schertler Stat-B, Yamahiko, Wilson K1 or BassBalsereit/ANS in the bridge foot, Full Circle or maybe Shadow SH-965NFX. They all work with bowing as well.
    For pizz only a bridge wing pickup like the Underwood or Shadow SH-950/951 and others work well too if fitted with low pressure.

10. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Of course, it always depends on price and avaliablilty, but if you intend to do Arco passages the Realist sounds better to my ears for that, the compromise, of course is the Pizzicato timbre, so it's always a compromise
    and it's not a pickup that you can use effectively in loud volume situations.

I think the Stat-B is a revolutionary pickup, it's design is different and you can use both Arco and Pizzicato very effectively, I've played a Wilson and didn't care for it, personally, but I've heard others sound good using one. If you
    want to do any extended Arco passages I would not reccommend the Full Circle at all, it's not suited for that IME, IMHO. unless you have some very serious Equalization and a two channel amp with switching capability. I love the
    Ehrlund EAP, but it's quite expensive for a beginner, and doesn't always work depending on what kind of instrument you have. Just my take of course. To each their own.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021