Fishman platimum pro eq for bass

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by PB+J, Jan 10, 2006.

1. PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    Sort of on a whim I bought one of these the other day, and I'm liking it a lot. I'm a big fan of the avalon U5 for most things, but it's big and bulky and I wanted a small versatile preamp with a built-in compressor--I've been into compression lately for some reason--and some more eq possibilities.

I own and have used a raven labs PMB 1 and a sans amp paradriver. Both of those bothered me--i had to work way too hard to get a good sound and I was always tweaking. Mostly it seemed to me I always heard a brittle, grainy high end. Anyway, they currently reside in a drawer with a K+K bass max/mic combo, a rev. solo, a bunch of strings....

Back to the Fishman--nice piece of gear. It really does seem to be tailored for bass. The eq sliders are very well voiced--the high mid slider notches all the piezo quack out, the compressor is really transparent if you keep it below 10-11 o'clock, the "depth" cotrol" seems to work as advertised, and the phase reversal is very useful. It's not too noisy, and it sounds really good--not great, but then, the realist doesn't sound like my bass only louder. I'm already making some degree of sonic compromise amping the bass, and the Fishman has a lot of virtues--it seems to play really well with the realist. I'll try it on a gig tomorrow night and see how it goes.
  2. Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven

What have you been using for compression (for piezo signals)previously? I'm trying to find something to put in front of my Rane AP-13 preamp. It's designed for accoustic 6-string and I think I need to compress or low-pass filter some of the low bass frequencies to keep the thing from clipping.

3. PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    I'm just a hack with compression--I was using a diamond pedals compressor, which is a boutique optical stomp box pedal, but it tends to distort on low frequencies and load the tone in a way i don't like with double bass. I'm currently not using a compressor, but gassing for the RNC