1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Flat Speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by honestjohnny, Apr 9, 2009.

1. heath_r_91

heath_r_91

Jun 3, 2006
    Topeka Area, Kansas
    Endorse:Artus-Basshanger-Dava-EC-Hartke-Orange-InEarz-SHS-Tigi
    no way...

That is just crazy...

I'd be interested to see the frequency response and sensitivity of a speaker like that!

2. I heard of this comming, they are not for high power apps, but the "speaker" we are all used to is VERY old tech. Just bare in mind what people would have said in the days of large box tube type TV's (with small screens) if you put up the idea of a flat panel color TV you could hang on the wall?

3. I thought I was looking at aluminum foil at first.

This should be interesting. I wonder how well it efficiently produces sub-20 frequencies...

4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Flat speakers? I love my Maggies, that I have had for about 20 years now. :)

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    "Another great application would be in PA systems for public spaces," says Steve. "The sound produced by FFLs can be directed straight at its intended audience. The sound volume and quality does not deteriorate as it does in conventional speakers, which means that public announcements in passenger terminals, for example, could be clearer, crisper, and easier to hear."

Fair enough... but that's about all these types of speakers are good for. You can make a simpler version yourself:-

Notice this guy claims "Hi-Fi" as well. Have a listen for yourself........and try not to laugh too hard ok!

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    There is a episode of twilight zone where the "so called" ugly women is supposed to be getting plastic surgery but it doesn't work. you know the one where everyone has the distorted pig faces, well when she runs down the hall there is a row of flat screen monitors hanging on the wall! this was the mid sixties!!!

7. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
  8. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    Looks quite similar to the old Magnepan ribbon speaker technology to me.( The originals are known as the Magneplanar.)
    Wouldn't be my first choice for high volume applications. It is interesting, but I'd wait to see how this technology holds up under field conditions.

9. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Flat speakers.... Pfffft... Outdated technology. The real innovation is in plasma speakers:

:p

10. way back when. I tried them with my bass for jazz, and they were pretty amazing. Very natural, like a huge upright. However, they produce sound from so much area that they do not sound loud up close, but they fill up a room quickly, much like the Bose towers. I doubt they could work for rock, or any type of large flat speaker, but for a natural sound I think flat speakers would work great.

11. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    I see no way of applying this idea to bass reproduction. So called planar speakers are already with us. My son has a pair, from a now defunct Canadian company, on his computer. They are good for mid and high frequencies but imagine how much the samwitch would have to bend in order to reproduce a low B.

Paul

12. panaran

panaran

Dec 1, 2008
    I dont think we will see this as a praticle bass application anytime soon, but if it were possible, id be down. Imagine it, instead of lugging your 8x10 fridge up stairs, in a car, out of the car, up/down more stairs, setup in your venue, then do it all over again when you packup, all you have to do is pound a tack in the wall and hang a tapestry.....awwweeesome.

tho im with Bassmanpaul on this, I dont see bass applications with this anytime in the near future.

13. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Um....plasma speaker technology goes back to at least the 1950s! :p:p:p

14. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    In the getting on for a century of cone loudspeakers many ideas have come forth to challenge their dominance. Nothing has yet to come even close to supplanting them and I don't see that happening any time soon. Mores the pity.

Paul

15. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    ribbon...

16. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Really? Wow... I heard about it for the first time a few months back. The whole concept still makes me scratch my head.

17. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  18. Very directional. Exactly what you try to avoid in bass guitar applications...

Just sayin....

Randy

19. I doubt they'll have a high enough excursion to displace as much air as current speakers, which would also have an effect on ability to reproduce low frequencys (could be wrong on that one).