1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

flat spot on my bass guitar

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by jwg3426, Mar 31, 2009.

1. jwg3426

jwg3426

Mar 31, 2009
    Hello. My name is Jerry. I own over 20 basses, and am having troubles with two that I've so far been unsuccessful in resolving. I own a 1991 Jazz Bass, and a 2008 Vibe precision/tele neck. Both basses have a flat spot when I play the g string on the fifth fret. No other spot on the bass has this problem. I've worked the truss rod, intonation, height, etc to no avail. Stew Mac says they need me to ask someone
    here on Bass forum, Fender has not responded.
    Can you offer any suggestion as to how to get this flat spot out? I'd like to start playing these basses again! Thanks.
    Jerry
    My email is Jwg3426@clearwire.net

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Dude, that sux. I dunno the answer, actually.

What about putting one of those heavy pieces that you clamp onto your headstock? I forget what they're called...supposed to help with dead spots.

Best,
    JMJ

3. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    groove tube's fat finger... don't know it it works.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It works by moving the dead spot to another spot on the neck. The vast majority of Fenders have a dead spot in that vicinity. Usually it's one fret up, though I have seen a few on the 5th fret. I tend to just play right through them and ignore them. I don't see them as any big deal. Plus I tend to play those notes on the D string because they sound fatter. But if a bass has a dead spot, there's not much you can do except move it with a Fat Finger. You might be able to minimize it, but it'll always be there.

5. Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Feb 8, 2006
    Mexico
    why do dead spots come up? if I buy a new bass and it doesn't have one is it possible that with the time it gets one?

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
  7. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you're looking for a dead spot-free bass, you may want to try to locate an old Steinberger or Status, which are both headless basses (and have graphite necks.) One of the benefits of being headless was that there is no weight past the nut, which was supposively a contributing factor to causing dead spots.

I honestly don't know if this was a 100% proven fact, but I owned both basses back in the 80's and don't recall any dead spots on mine.

Gotta love them Fenders, warts and all...

8. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    This might sound a little obvious, but have you tried different string gauges and a proper (guitar tech) setup? You might see a difference? Other than that, play through it. To an extent, a little 'off sound' adds character to a bass, just listen to Kurt Cobain play guitar! He was off allot of the time, but he sounded great because he embraced it. Sounding 100% all the time 'might' sound a little sterile, maybe not, thats just my opinion. Best luck!

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Ya, that's how I look at it, and I'm relatively sure Justin does, too. But a good setup could make the dead spot less pronounced. Won't get it to go away, but it's possible it wouldn't be as bad. Might not make a difference, either. But it can't hurt.