1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flats for semi-hollow bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by RustyAxe, Apr 6, 2015.

1. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I have a new Fender Coronado bass, currently strung with D'Addario Chromes. It's a 30" scale. I used it for a country gig this weekend (I usually play my Fender J or P). The string to string balance was WAY off ... the D and G strings producing much less volume than the E and A. I raised the treble side of the neck pickup, it helped for volume and I got through the gig all right. But the tone on the D and G was still thin. I'm thinking a set of LaBella Deep Talkin' flats which are purportedly "Perfectly Balanced Sets". Although the scale is 30", I'll need medium length strings (34" ball to silk) to fit. Any experience with these, specifically on a hollow or semi-hollow bass? Thanks.

Don't suggest TI, not my thing (expensive, don't like the feel).

2. domonic

domonic

Aug 22, 2014
    Subscribing ..... I'd like to know too !! There calling the La Bellas " quarter rounds "

Attached Files:

3. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I'm talking about flat wound strings ... not quarter round, ground wound or anything else.

4. I think you have a very interesting bass. Jason at bass strings on line would know best about your needs for string length. I've played bass for 45 years, but have never owned a Fender. Your's sounds to be closer to my taste.

If you want an "old school" warm thump and classic 60's bass tone you might want to try Pyramid gold flat wound short scale. They fit the 30 inch Hofner scale and have an extra length for going over the bridge to the tailpiece. They last for years. This makes them cost effective. Jason also has excellent prices and service.

Jack Casady used to put them on his Guild Starfire in the old days. They are not as floppy as Thomastik-Infelds, and have a glass smooth finish.

5. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    I have a 67' Coronado II bass. LOVE IT!

I use Chromes on my Coronado as I find it needs brighter strings to help it cut through more. Yes the balance is not perfect but I think it is the instrument more than anything. Only thing that can really help the dynamic balance is changing your technique or introducing a compressor into your signal chain.

I mainly use my Coronado in the studio but I have gigged with it as well. I suggest playing your lines if you can mostly on the E and A string. When I do go to the D and G string on mine I do not play lower than the 5th fret on the D string and not lower than the 7th fret on the G string.

My Starfire currently has La Bella tapes on it, but it has also had Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats and Chromes.

For both the Starfire and Coronado instruments you do need MEDIUM SCALE strings even though they are "Short Scale" instruments.

So if you like the tone of the strings try changing your playing style a bit to help compensate for the dynamics of the instrument.

6. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    That's not encouraging.
    I have no intention of changing how I play to accomodate the instrument. And no, I don't like the tone of the Chromes (on this bass) at all. If I can't find a string that works on this thing, someone's gonna get a Coronado ... cheap.

7. You seem to be unhappy with the inherent sound of your Fender Coranado bass. Perhaps a Guild Starfire, or an Epiphone Jack Casady would sound better to you - they do to me.

MrRubi04 likes this.
  8. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    i owned a vintage 67 model. great bass and sound. jason is right, you need medium scale (32") strings. I really enjoyed tapwounds, gave it more of an upright type tone and if you're doing country that will sound great. most tapes have super thick strings, but a couple sets (d'addario) doesn't.

also if you want fatter d and g strings get that. a set of string with the same size e and a and get bigger gauge d and g. ghs precision regulars comes like this. chromes have some sets like that too.

9. TheBass

TheBass

Jul 2, 2004
    Germany
    I'm playing a Fender Starcaster Bass (30" semi hollow) with GHS brite flats 3070. They sound better than the Fender flats 9050L but the sound is still not where I want it to be yet. Any recommendations welcome.

10. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    That may well be ... but I'm willing to try a few sets of strings before I give up on it. Although I've been playing bass since '67, I've never owned a hollow or semi-hollow body electric bass ... and suppose I could live the rest of my life without one. I use tape wounds on my two acoustic basses (Tacoma Thunderchief and Guild B-50) and love the upright-ish tone (I also play upright bass). The LAST thing I want is a brighter string on the Coronado.

Thanks for the input.

11. DionClassic

DionClassic

Feb 15, 2012
    La bella makes awesome flats. I think if you're long for that deep smooth tone the standard la bella deep talkin flats would be your best bet. when I had a hofner they sounded great. On a Precision they sound real nice. I currently have a set on my ric and they are very tasty.

I think that if you're willing to give the coranado one last shot the La Bella's will give it a chance at impressing you.

My 2 cents.

12. MrBassman17

MrBassman17

Dec 30, 2011
    Brewster, NY
    I play a Jack Casady with La Bella's and the tone is amazing, no volume drop on the D or G anywhere on the neck, so maybe it is the Coronado?

13. z65

z65

Dec 12, 2007
    Europe
    hello everyone,

i own a 1967 Coronado II, i'm looking for some strings advices.
    i play jazz music and i would like to try big gauge strings
    with minor tension if possible. some advices ?
    thank You

14. I would suggest medium scale Precision Flats from GHS. Just about anything sounds better with them on it.