1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Flats or tapes

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JWP, Aug 24, 2012.

1. JWP

JWP

Aug 19, 2012
    Been playing dd chromes on an fender american jazz for a few years but have been thinking abiut moving to tape wound. Looking for an even warmer tone. Thoughts? Any issue with tapes on a fretted bass? Thanks in advance....

2. I heard from someone that the nylon wrapping gets damaged by the frets, but I honestly think that guy didn't know what he was talking about.

I don't think tapes would be a problem at all GHS makes a set in standard gauges and they're pretty resilient. Chromes are very bright for flats though, so I don't think they're a good representation of a general flatwound sound. I'd also recommend GHS Precision Flats. Don't let the name fool you, they'll work great on your Jazz.

3. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    oceanside
    I've got tapes on my fretless - Fender 9120's. They are much brighter than I anticipated, but that bass utilizes a piezo pickup. I don't know if that has any bearing on the tone. It's the only piezo bass I've owned, and I slapped the nylons on the day I got it. I'm contemplating putting them on a different bass to see if there is a difference.