1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flats with black silk - what are they?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by basss, Oct 1, 2008.

1. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    I'm trying to ID a set of strings that came with a used bass I bought. They are flats with black thread on each end. Anyone know what they are?

2. Labella has black silk at the headstock end I know for sure. Dont know if they have them at the base where the strings sit at the bridge though.

3. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    my mistake- these are bare at the bridge end. Sounds like they are la bellas - thanks.

4. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Lakland Joe Osborn flats, GHS Precision Flats, the stock strings on the original Music Man StingRay (they switched to GHS Brite Flats around 1979) and the flats G&L sold under their name in 1982 all have black silk on really good flatwound strings. They're all GHS Precision flats.

jte

5. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    Hmmmm
    then these are GHS's?

6. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
  7. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

La Bella 760FS's have black silk at the tuner end.

George

8. GHS Flats have violet purple silk ends.

9. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    I doubt they are JO's so I'm assuming these a prolly La Bellas.

10. no1likesme

no1likesme

Dec 26, 2006
    Shepherd, MI
    x2

11. Mrdak

Mrdak uber bass geek baby!

Feb 1, 2006
    Middle GA
    Joe Osborn flats have black silks. All of the Labella 760 flats that I've used had either red on med gauge sets or orange silks on the light gauge.

12. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Labella 760FS's have black silk. I've recently re-strung two basses with these and they rock!