Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flats

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by buzzbass, Feb 9, 2005.

1. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but here goes.

Does anyone know of a company that makes a flat wound set of strings for a 5 string. Also, for my Warwicks, does anyone a flat wound 5-string set with taper wound or exposed core ends ? GC has crap, per usual, and the mullet head working there said that nobody makes 5 string flat wound sets. I'm pretty sure he's wrong, although I've never seen them. Any ideas, anyone, Bueller ?

2. you'd probably get more help in the "strings" forum

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    SIT, D'Addario, TI, Labella, Rotosound to name a few. 5 string flat sets are pretty common. I use groundwounds myself. D'Addario Half Rounds on my 6. I also still use some SIT PowerFlats on my 4 and 5 string

4. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I've been using Marley Blue Steels forever, but I think the flats would sit well in the mix with my new gig. !st time out is this sat. @ Mugsy's. Do you get them locally ? If so, where ? Are any of those taperwound, my thumb V would crush things with flats on it. :D

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
  6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Mugsy's on Hooper ave?

the D'Addarios I got sent right from the factory in NY.... I got no reply to my inquiry about more :(

The D'Addario XL Half Rounds have a tapered B... they are flat in feel but very round in tone (compared to other flats and groundwounds). The SIT I got with my basses either requested them and/or as extras with.

I might have a 5 string set unused of the SIT. I'll dig when I get home tonight.

7. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Thanks dude

8. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    cool, lemme know. Yes, Mugsy's on Hooper. Do you buy strings 'n stuff local ? GC in East Brunswick sucks.

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us

I use to shop "Sussex County Music", "Music Den", & "Ritchies" or 48th street NYC when I lived up north. I came down here and there was one cool little shop in Lacey... everything else was sharks and snakes.

I get everything I can direct from builder/supplier these days.

Red Bank Music is said to be OK, I do plan on checking them out. Hiway music is nice peoples but they don't stock much. I prefer SamAsh to GC if'n I need to hit a chain / superstore.

There is also a "Boutique Bass" store in the Brunswick area... I've never been there and not sure the name or place

10. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    How about NJ Guitar & Bass in Edison, great selection bass wise. Prices are tough though. You coming out on saturday ? I'd like to get that set of flats, if you have them. Let me know.

11. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    You guys live near Rondo. I'm jealous. :)

12. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    If you saw the place, you wouldn't be jealous anymore.

13. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've been there, I bought my Brice 6 string fretless there. I'm jealous. :)