1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flatwound Help - Minneapolis/St. Paul Area

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by andymcclure, Mar 21, 2010.

1. andymcclure

andymcclure

May 10, 2008
    Minneapolis
    Hey TB, I could use a little help...

I've been meaning to get some flats on my P-Bass, get them broken in, get that sweet flatwound/P-Bass tone happening, but I haven't done so yet. I'm heading into the studio on Tuesday. Obviously, it's way too late to buy a new set and have them sounding good by Tuesday. :meh:

Anybody have a used set they'd want to loan/sell in the next, uh, 36 hours?

Ideally, I'm leaning towards D'A Chromes or TI Jazz Flats, so I'd be more interested in buying a set of those outright. But, let me know what you've got, what you want, and maybe something will work out.

Honestly, I'm only planning to track 1 or 2 songs with this bass, so it's not that big of a deal. So I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not asking anyone to put themselves out for this.

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    To be honest, I have never had to 'break in' a set of flats. Plus, it would take 72 hours for strings to get to you from my little town in AZ. Hope you find a local player that can help you out. :)

3. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    PM me

4. andymcclure

andymcclure

May 10, 2008
    Minneapolis
    I haven't played flats in years, but the discussions on here lead me to believe that a month or 2 is good to get them evened out. Comments?

5. Jhaley

Jhaley

Mar 15, 2008
    Canton, Ga
    I have tried several different brands. I currently have Labella's
    on my P bass but my favorite Flats are the Sadowsky.

6. GHS Precision Flats are nice and thumpy, especially the E, right out of the package. I think they will get you a better sound than the Chromes. Fender 9050s are similar also.

7. P. Bass

P. Bass

Mar 17, 2010
    Toronto
    I can't believe you have a P. w/o flats! (I'm just messin' w/ya) Click my user name & see my posts on flats (3-18-2010). Dig in bro! PS: TI's are sloppy soft but (sound) great if you have a light attack. Also: D'Addario flats do mello after you play them in but rolling off some passive tone on the bass works well when they're new. As a point of interest, strings go through "metal fatigue" as they age. That's why they "mello" or get dull sounding (that along w/dirt) This causes intonation issues. I clean my flats regularly w/ a micro fibre dish cloth wet w/rubbing alcohol, always on hand.(pinch the string)

8. andymcclure

andymcclure

May 10, 2008
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, I know... I haven't had the bass that long, and it still has the strings that came with it. I've been meaning to switch to flats, but this studio date kinda snuck up on me.

Anyway, tracking is done. I ended up playing the NSD on 14 songs, P-Bass on 1. So it probably wouldn't have been worth the effort. I have a set of Chromes coming in the mail, and I should have them properly broken in by the next studio date.

Unless I don't like the gauge, or I decide to go for a different tone.

I have a feeling this could turn into an expensive quest. :meh:

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2020