Flatwound string ID help

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by kulit17, Jul 24, 2018.

1. kulit17

kulit17 Wal Collector #35 Supporting Member

I pulled a couple flatwound strings off a couple of my basses and couldn't identify this one. The other two i knew were Chromes and for a second i thought these were chromes too until i noticed the ballends were all gold. The silk color is similiar to Chromes - blue (not purplish like pictured)

cTdaNBBBsjypSoMhYPtr1lREJ_nzS2x27voKXj9eAfWzjvB0T1MWyiB2moTwilDeWZiJ2UUuLLJ-GVg-V=w1472-h1103-no.jpg

this is the bass it was on.....

dtitjjbeqnvvnozqif11.jpg

2. They look to me like the Ernie Ball Flats (regular flats, not the Cobalts).

kulit17 likes this.
  3. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    They look like Ernie Ball Slinky Flatwound Cobalts.......40-95.

4. The Cobalt Flats would have purple silk, not blue like what's in the photos.

By the way, how can you tell what gauges they are just by looking at the photos?

LionOnBass likes this.
  5. kulit17

thanks guys, ya i looked at classifieds and it does seem it's EB traditional flatwounds..... i guess my next question is how can i tell which group they are? is it just by the gauges? i have a cheapo digital caliper, so i'll measure it later.

6. Ernie Ball uses the term "group" to refer to the gauge selection instead of the traditional "light", "medium", etc.

kulit17 likes this.
  7. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    Yep they look like the regular Flats........It was the purple silks that threw me.

8. kulit17

thanks @michael_t you're the best! took out the cheapo digital calipers and it appears i have Group 3 strings (45-65-80-100)

lol i think you may need to get your visual calipers recalibrated ;)

ya i mentioned in my OP that the silk was blue and not purple (believe the red cushion floor may have played a role in that), anyhu thanks for trying to help anyways.

michael_t likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021