1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

flatwounds on a mustang, which ones?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by meta, Mar 20, 2009.

1. meta

meta

Mar 11, 2009
    Just tried some medium scale roto jazzes (rs77) and couldn't make them work... no tension at all, which would be ok if I wanted to play "a d g b"... I thought I needed some medium scale flats for the mustang cause it's string through body, but was I wrong. Or maybe I do need medium scale I just got the wrong ones...

Anyways, I want a pair that is going to fit perfectly, with some more tension (as the mustang is just barely hanging on with the E string it came with, sounds good, but I think a tiny bit more tension would help it a lot... - just bought it new today, a re-issue model). I don't mind adjusting the truss rod and re-doing the intonation or action.

Anyone have any advice? I love the bass, but it would just be perfect (for me anyways) with a decent set of flats that I might be able to get it to drop to D if required (can't see the need to ever drop to D, as the lowest D in concert tuning is still lower than the guitar's D... but you never know).

Thanks for your help,

Meta

2. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    Chromes have a good amount of tension on a long scale bass. I don't know about short sale, though.

3. GOLGOTHAN

GOLGOTHAN Banned

Feb 27, 2009
    chromes, i have them on my music master.[​IMG]

4. meta

meta

Mar 11, 2009
    chromes. Ok, I'll try that. any particular brand?

5. fesem

fesem

Nov 11, 2004
    Blacksburg, VA
    I play D'addario Chrome flats on my Mustang and I like.

6. meta

meta

Mar 11, 2009
    thanks fesem,

short scale?
    what guage?

7. meta

meta

Mar 11, 2009
    thanks GOLGOTHAN,

that's very explicit, and helps!