1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flea followed through.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ausf, Apr 18, 2010.

1. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    At least in the footage I saw of the NYC shows of Atoms For Peace.

He played a P (unusual) and yes, true to his word, a Flea Bass. No Modulus, no EBMM to be seen.

I guess a pass is in order for the P when needing that tone, but he stood by promise when active.

I know there was a Jazz in the mix before they went official, but now that it's a tour, I haven't seen it yet.

I'd love to know if it's truly un-modded.

2. Luckie

Luckie

Jan 1, 2010
    Northfield MN
    What was this promise?

3. That he would actually play the goofy looking things, not just sell them.

4. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    Yep, said he would tour with only production versions of his Flea with the Peppers from now on.

5. He needs to go buy them randomly from guitar center , i bet his are made for him and set up super nice.

6. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    It goes without saying, his basses are probably setup hourly if necessary. And sure I bet his tech goes through 20, to find one he'll want to play, but I bet that happens with any bass at that level.

You think Ernie Ball or Modulus aren't hand picking what they send him?

7. MiamiFins42

MiamiFins42

Feb 1, 2010
    Well, the way he plays his basses so aggressively, I wouldn't be surprised if his bass is setup constantly. It'd be the same as any of his other basses I'm sure. The only people who know for sure are Flea and his bass tech. I too wonder if he keeps the Fleabass stock. I have kept mine stock since I bought it back in November...but lately I've been itching to mod it like hell (New pickup, new bridge, a preamp, and possibly a Status graphite neck).

Which makes me wonder, would he stick to using basses with wooden necks after playing a Modulus for the bigger part of the last 13 years?

8. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    He dropped MMs because the necks required too much adjusting on tour and the graphite Mods held up better to weather swings.

Maybe he's only playing in climate controlled arenas now. ;)

9. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I know he says he wants to play completely stock models but I wouldn't be surprised if they kept a special stock just for him.

Massive +1 to A-Step's suggestion of him picking up a random one at GC before each gig.

10. OneMoreRobot

OneMoreRobot

Jan 23, 2009
    Ummm.... I was at the Chicago show of this and already posted a thread.

Flea played what appeared to be either a vintage or Road Worn sunburst P-bass the whole time, except for on Harrowdown Hill and one other song where he played the Flea Bass and Atoms for Peace where he played a violin bass.

The Flea Bass's tone was awful. It was sooooooooooo bad...

11. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Wrong. He quit playing MM because they won't make him a sig model.

12. JoZac21

JoZac21

Nov 30, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Now I just sit back and wait for the youtube vid of the taped-on pickguard falling off mid solo... :D

13. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    wha?!

14. JoZac21

JoZac21

Nov 30, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    "Flea Basses" have their pick guards held on with double sided tape.

Man, I must be really out of it... that's the second time I've had to explain a post this hour. Maybe sleep is a good idea...

15. MiamiFins42

MiamiFins42

Feb 1, 2010
    It didn't happen...People here on TB hate the bass because it has a pickguard held in place by 2 sided tape. Funny, because I've owned the same bass since November and it hasn't moved.

16. spcmstrbtasp

spcmstrbtasp

Oct 19, 2006
    Athens, GA
    I do this with my Lakland 5501 - and it hasn't come off in 3 or more years of use... I didn't want to drill into the bass just to change the look (natural maple non deluxe), I like the look with the Jeanies white pearl...

I'm kinda surprised more companies don't use this approach to pick guard fastening...

Then again, after this many years, I don't know what the tape may have done to the finish...:rollno:

17. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    People use double sided tape to attach finger ramps to their boutique basses all the time. I don't see what the big deal is.

18. Tape gets a bad name, but if you use 3M Auto tape they use for sticking emblems etc on cars it is not moving. Period. Great stuff for all kinds of uses in home

http://www.autogeek.net/3m-auto-tape.html

19. MiamiFins42

MiamiFins42

Feb 1, 2010
    That's what I don't see either. Personally, I see the Fleabass as a very nice instrument. I really do wonder if Flea is gonna continue to use a Fleabass stock for whenever the next time the RHCP go on tour...That's what I'm really looking forward to.

20. OneMoreRobot

OneMoreRobot

Jan 23, 2009
    **** whether or not the double sided tape worked, the bass still sounded awful...