1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Flea's [modulus funk unlimited] Growl

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Barr Plays Bass, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Barr Plays Bass

Barr Plays Bass

Nov 13, 2012
    Hello, I currently am trying to obtain fleas famous and well known growl that he has when he often plays when he uses his modulus FU. Anyone have enough experience with tone to help me out??
    Please and thanks!

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    It's a mix of things. Flea plays fairly aggressively and either towards the bridge of his bass or right on top of the pup. Then you have his bass and his pickups, which have more of a modern, hi fi tone. He also uses roundwounds, which gives it more sparkle and punch. Then you have his GK rig which has a growly sound inherent to the amp and the speakers. Finally you have his EQ which has quite a bit of high mids added into it to make this all the more audible.

3. Barr Plays Bass

Barr Plays Bass

Nov 13, 2012
    I play Aggressive, I've broken week old strings using alternating fingerstyle before trying to live up to fleas aggression. As for the GK Rig, Everyone that owns a FU Bass has the same tone, I'm almost wondering if its the Graphite neck, I'm not sure though. I use round wounds too, I think I have it narrowed down to either the Neck or pickups but your right, I don't have much mid range control so that's a very good possability thank you for reminding me about that! im just a little frustrated

4. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Ha, well I have owned two Modulus Flea basses, as well as a Modulus Quantum 5 :) I can tell you that the carbon fiber neck definitely helps notes stand out more in a mix, and it also helps keep your tone/output fairly consistent all the way up and down the neck. That said, I've had a Flea with Bart's and a Flea with Bassline's. The Bart's bass was not aggressive (more abrasive than anything), but the Bassline's was. Likewise, my Q5 with EMG's is quite aggressive.

Changing out your pups, if you want this kind of tone, would probably be the best start since you already use roundwounds. It'd also be the cheapest since you won't need to buy a new amp.

5. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    IMO, this tour is Flea's worst live sound ever. He's always had a plain live tone, his tones are usually the uncolored sound of the bass + a GK. But his rig in the IWY tour sounds like plastic. Listen.

In summary, all you need is the Modulus Flea (which you have) and you're close enough.

6. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    I said this like a day ago on the forums (lol), but I haven't like Flea's live tone since his StingRay days. IMHO, that was his tone.

7. zephyr_words

zephyr_words

Aug 12, 2009
    Virginia
    I think the GHS Bass Boomer strings make a difference. Those things are dead after like 2 gigs though.

A lot of it is just playing with a vicious attack on a bass with low action though.

8. Barr Plays Bass

Barr Plays Bass

Nov 13, 2012
    Thanks for all the help guys but I'd like to ask, EMG or Basslines? Also Aguilar or Bartolini Preamp?

9. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    I wouldn't go for the Bart's pre. It honestly didn't sound great to my ears, and from what I've read not too many people dig the Aguilar pre they use. I'd go EMG pup with an EMG pre, or a Bassline pup with something other than Aguilar or Bart.

If you want to hear what the EMG/EMG setup sounds like through my Modulus Q5 you can check out the link in my signature (particularly the verse groove). My tone was recorded direct to the board so you're getting about as honest of a tone as you'll likely hear for that setup. The strings were old and I was going for a slightly darker tone, but you'll get the idea of the punch and growl it has (even with dead rounds on it - it absolutely snarls with a fresh set).