Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flexicore Starks other than E

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by TroyK, Mar 14, 2006.

1. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I know that the E gets used a lot with the Medium set, but has anyone tried the whole start set, or maybe just the G?

I was wondering what a Stark D and G might sound/feel like used as you would guts up top. I know that nothing is like gut.

Troy

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I have the whole stark set and I find the others too stiff, in particular the D & G.
    YMMV.

3. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Why didn't I just come to Francois directly?

Sorry to hear that actually. I really liked the feel of the medium set. If the heavier gauge felt like that, the D and G might have given a nice little gut like mix.

<SIGH>

Thanks, Francois.

4. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    i think the tension on the regular A D and G are good, i think i would find the tension on starks to be too much.....KSB said he uses the full stark set so that he can have a lower *action*:D and still not have lots of string to FB noise.

5. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.

Yes, I am using ALL Starks and love them. This also may depend on your Bass and set-up. On my Dodd, they feel so soft and the Bow just dances on the string. On my Loveri, they are so punchy, it makes me think my Bass is a size up or two. For Jazz, the have tension like Spiros but the Flexocor sound and feel. Yummy in my book!

6. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    i like my regular flex's with the stark E but i have my g at 6mm off the fingerboard.......

7. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    ...I got an OLIV G string in trade years ago and have never put it on for fear of liking it and having it come apart on me. I had a recording today, so thought, what the hell.

I really liked it. I put it on thinking I could just take it back off tomorrow, but now....

I really liked the feel of the Medium Flexicores, but I didn't love the way that sounded from my position standing over the bass. I did get a chance to hear someone else play it and thought it sounded much better from the business end of the instrument, but I have to listen to it when I'm playing so I kind of care about that too.

The sound on the recording today was amazing (tone, not my playing), some of which had to do with the recording and some with the strings. The bandleader said he has never heard my bass sound so good.

So, I like the punch and cut of the Permenants, but I really preferred the soft feel of the Flexicores or the Spiro Solos that I tried last summer. And the OLIV thing...that's a whole different situation that I just can't bring myself to think about too much right now, but I'll have to deal with it at some point.

8. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.

I just measured my Dodd and Loveri and the Gs are about 4mm off the end of the FB. The Es are from 7-8mm and I could go lower for solo playing but I need some kind of room for digging in with the Orchestra.

9. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    i thought i read thats where you had your string height set in another thread. if i put my adjusters all the way down then my string heights are about like yours but i like to be able to really dig in playing pizz since that is mostly what i play....so the regular tension strigns work for me....its all about setup and personal preference......starks work for ken, i like the mediums and i'm sure some other like the lights...