Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

flexocor(new) vs. superflexible

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by JonB, Dec 25, 2003.

1. JonB

JonB

May 27, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Anyone have any experience with these two?
    I'm familiar with original flexocor.
    Also, a pal is using solo superflex tuned down, so that is a consideration too.
    Thanks, all!

2. I haven't directly compared the two on the same instrument, but I have played both. My impression has been that the new flexos are fairly similar to the old flexos in feel, and they sound a bit clearer and a tad brighter. Maybe with a little less midrange, also... a good orchestra string on a bass where the old ones might be a bit dark or muddy sounding. I'd say they're just as good as the originals, just a little different. They sound great on good plywood basses too. The superflexibles to me are a really bland, generic string in almost every regard. It's a string that is totally playable, bows easily, it's not to bright or to dark, not to sustainy or thumpy. Just good all around, but rather uninspiring. Sort of the Honda of bass strings, if you will...

3. Steve Bassman

Steve Bassman Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL

"It's a string that is totally playable, bows easily, it's not to bright or to dark, not to sustainy or thumpy."

Your assessment of the Superflexible strings seemed somewhat negative at first. But when you isolate those comments, it's sounds exactly like what I'm looking for!

- Steve

http://kay.home.att.net

4. JonB

JonB

May 27, 2003
    Indianapolis
    OK, I finally put on a new set of Superflex solo.
    The top three sound and feel great, but the E (F#) is a real disappointment.
    It sounds false and "bass guitar-ish." It has to go.
    Any recommendations for a good match? Maybe an orchestra E?
    Thanks.

5. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The Superflexibles need at least a week of solid playing to sound their best. I would give it more time. If the E is too low tension just get a regular Superflexible E. It is a bit higher in tension than Spirocore Weich.

6. JonB

JonB

May 27, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Thanks, Adrian....
    I'll practice and wait.