Flight Simulators

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vox Populi, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Ever since I was younger I've been a big FlightSim fan. I haven't played in probably a couple of years now, but today I dug out my discs and re-installed the new one, MS Flight Sim 2004. I'm in the proccess of rebuilding my extensive add-on library. Man, I had so many add-on aircraft for that game. Now I have to re-download them all.

Anyone else sim? I guess it's kind of an acquired taste. I always dreamed of being an airline pilot, and since I know that I don't have $100,000+ dollars lying around to take a course, I guess this is as close as I can get. I'll probably buy a CH Flight Yoke and Pedals soon to use with the game if I really get into it again.

I also have Combat Flight Sim 2 and 3, they're fun too. But I really like flying airliners.
  2. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    I used to like them quite a bit in the 80s and early 90s... Dont laugh too hard but the new ones are too hard for me to understand. Yes they evolved but I was sorta intimidated by Sturmovik.

My main dope for sims was submarine simulations and I've yet to find a good helicopter sim.

3. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    I think Flight sims have become somewhat of a rarity these days because they usually require working through a hefty manual and aren't casual gamer compatible so they don't sell well. I never liked them because I couldn't be bothered to learn the controls. Go figure. ;)
  4. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i used to play Flight Sim 2000 all the time. i loved it.

i also had F-15 back in the late 90s. i could never get the in-flight refueling thing down. :)
  5. I've been a sim fighter jock for a long time.. geez, since I was about 10 years old, off and on. Lately I've been playing a ton of Falcon 4 allied force. The manual is 750 pages and it took me 2 weeks to learn how to play, but it's supposed to be extremely realistic. I wouldn't even dream of playing it without a HOTAS joystick/throttle setup.
  6. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Never got into hardcore flight sims...

I´ve been playing flight games for a long time though...

If anyone remembers the Red Baron... that was an excellent game!

I then played all the Aces over Europe/Pacific series.

I just love WWI and WWII flight games.
  7. We have a really good one here that's a combination of F-22 simulator and a Shuttle Re-entry simulator. It is INCREDIBLY realistic. And lots of fun. Provided that you have enough time on your hands.:D

Rock on
  8. I'm getting into IL2 Sturmovik. I don't think there is a more realistic flight simulator out there. You can go online and fight against 32+ people. Too bad everyone is actually in the air force and can easily shoot me down.

How can you not love these visuals?

Get some surround sound going and it's pure bliss. The sound in the game is one of it's best features, you can hear when your plane is falling apart. Flying over the ocean and seeing your propeller slowly stop turning is not fun at all! ;)

It's around $50.00 for all of the expansion packs... 200+ planes.
  9. I've never been much for flight sims, but shuttle reentry is a lot of fun.
  10. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    One of these days I want to build myself a nice gaming system to get back into this stuff.
  11. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

If I had more time and inclination, I'd play some flight simulators on this:

Surround sound, 92" screen, 15" sub, bass shakers in the seats, and a dedicated home theater PC. I should get a good stick and some pedals if I really want to do it up right. The car driving simulators on a big screen are really intense.

Unfortunately, most PC games don't like widescreen resolutions, and it always seems such a shame to crop the sides. Does anyone know if any of the newer simulators able to output a widescreen (1280x720) resolution? Not using the whole screen seems like a real shame.
  12. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I'm a flight simulator fan also. I started a few months ago with flight simulator 2004.
    This weekend I bought a new computer to play with Flight simulator X :)

FSX is incredible, very nice graphics, nice missions. I have a lot of fun with it
  13. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I used to use FS in the early 80's with my Commodore 64. :D
  14. I use to play flight sim all of the time but just havent had time to lately.. I used an add-on called VatSim which is a community of online air traffic controllers and other pilots.. Makes it much more realistic when you are really talking to people for traffic control. It is hard though..
  15. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Have you seen flight simulator X

That thing is CRAZY!

16. I was soo exciting to get this then I realized it'll probably be really crappy on my current computer.. :crying:
  17. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I've never played one of these, but what's so alluring about them? Is it the delicate controls you have to use in order to take off/land correctly? The scenery as you fly by? Or am I right in thinking everybody just finds the best places to crash them for fun?
  18. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

Yeah, i considered my PC to be badarse (3.2ghz FX5700 vcard 1gig ram) but my video card is probebly out of date even to play that game on lowest specs...

I also kind of wish that game would have a goal. :)
  19. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I tried to find my houses on MS FS 2004... I think i did... :D
  20. To be honest, its mainly for people who have always dreamed of flying but cant afford it. I can see how it is very boring but its the closest 99% of us will ever get to actually flying a 737.. Microsoft has really done a good job of making it as realistic as possible..

I've always loved airplanes.. By using online traffic control communities, like VatSim, really adds to the FS.. Obviously, landing is the most "exciting" part of it. But, when you "really" play, its not alot of just sitting around. I use to do small jumps from Indianapolis to Chicago.. By the time I take off, climb to altitude, Chicago ATC is giving me vectors for my approach to land.. And if you screw up, man, do they let you know.

Now, some people do the transatlantic flights.. 8+ hours.. I dont understand how they do that..