1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Floppy woofer... Help?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by somegeezer, Apr 20, 2010.

1. somegeezer

somegeezer

Oct 1, 2009
    England
    I've recently bought a GK 1001RB-II head and paired it with an 8ohm Laney NX410. Just playing it last night I noticed one and only one of the woofers on the cab seems to pulse a lot even after I mute the string. It's quite low but I can hear it flap. Wondering if it's a fault anyone has experienced before and if they could clue me up on what it could be and how to fix it. Thanks for any advice given.

2. somegeezer

somegeezer

Oct 1, 2009
    England
    bump - Just would really love the help from you guys.

3. JackANSI

JackANSI

Sep 12, 2006
    PA
    You need to check that speaker out, front and back. Remove it from the cab and look for tears on the surround, cone, and spider. The only time I ever ran into anything that could be called a "speaker that flaps" it required replacment. Depending on the speaker it can sometimes be reconed or repaired, but its usually easier to just replace the driver if it needs it.

4. somegeezer

somegeezer

Oct 1, 2009
    England
    Spider? Heard of surround and cone. What is this spider? What else apart from tears could it be? There is no visible tearing on the outside. I think I'll hear my options before taking this thing apart though. I don't want to make something worse.

5. JackANSI

JackANSI

Sep 12, 2006
    PA
  6. somegeezer

somegeezer

Oct 1, 2009
    England
    Reading that I basically get that the speaker is dead. I just bought this thing brand new.

7. Should be under warranty, then. Make them ante up!