Florida Bassists Club

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by q1014, Mar 4, 2008.

1. I am here in Sebring, hoping my Friday Englewood restaurant/tiki gig doesn't get cancelled due to Hurricane Eta. My band has another Englewood gig in two weeks.

Marley's Ghost and TinIndian like this.
  2. mtb777

mtb777 Serving bottom for the Most High. Inactive

Apr 1, 2010
    Sunny South Florida
    I'm at Two Rivers Church of South Florida in Cooper City. They've met at the Cooper City High School main auditorium for almost 10 years and covid still has the schools shut down! That was a great venue to play at! We played and recorded at the Pastor's Davie House for a couple of months streaming services on FB Live and YouTube. We are now meeting next door at Cooper City Church of God on Saturdays while our new place is being built! 25BF1A73-9717-4D8C-986C-3ED2C9E17504.jpeg 8BEE6B5F-A529-4E40-9189-771F13C86B11.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    Marley's Ghost and TinIndian like this.
  3. Since this thread is getting some traction, I figured I better throw this out there: I've been trying to organize (unsuccessfully... lack of venue + COVID) a Central FL GTG for a while. I figure it may be difficult for a while, but if we start chatter now, maybe we can make something happen in the spring? Or sooner? Also open to N FL and S FL!

There it is: out in the open again!

mtb777 and TinIndian like this.
  4. BassGuyFL

BassGuyFL Formerly known as RichardCranium

Mar 9, 2009
    Boynton Bch FL
    Still around. Shows are starting to pick up fortunately. It’s staggering the business we lost this year...

mtb777 and TinIndian like this.
  5. @mtb777, we’re a “mainstream” Protestant denomination with a traditional form of worship.

You probably do a lot more contemporary Christian music than we do. But every so often, we sneak one by ‘em. My jam partner wrote “Why Don’t We Sit Down And Pray” - set to the tune of Buffett’s “Why Don’t We Get Drunk”.

Half of the congregation were, “Awww. That’s nice.” The other half were stifling the Muttley laugh. Including the Pastor. :)

6. mtb777

mtb777 Serving bottom for the Most High. Inactive

Apr 1, 2010
    Sunny South Florida
    That’s cool! We do lots of Bethel and HillSong and extended Worship.

7. Back at Englewood on Friday at Englewood on the Dearborn and have our first gig in a long time on Saturday in a bar in Avon Park, which is just north of Sebring where we are based. Just practiced last night with a new guitarist, who will be the 7th since I have been with the band (about 8 years) and we have had two keyboard players, the latest will be leaving soon and won't be with us this weekend. We are back to two guitarist. It gets to be a bit of a hassle breaking in new members, but that's part of the band business.

Goatrope likes this.
  8. Skeezix

Skeezix

Sep 28, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Is the Wild Turkey Tavern still opened?

9. I don't know if the Wild Turkey Tavern is still open, but it probably is open. It is too small for a five piece band. I stopped in there in the early 80s and even at that time when we had little equipment starting out we deemed it too small.
    It was purchased about 4 years ago by the fellow who bought Cowpoke's Watering Hole about 15 years ago. The fellow made a lot of improvements at the Watering Hole and put in a small tiki at the Wild Turkey, but I never go there. On Saturday we are playing the Tap Room on Main Street in Avon Park, which is the only place we play that still has smoking.

10. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Looking for a funk type gig in Sarasota. Any leads?

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021