1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Florida GTG update

Discussion in 'Social Events and Get Togethers [BG]' started by Grant22, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Grant22

Grant22 Groovin' the gospel

Oct 29, 2005
    Winter Garden FL
    I just wanted to thank all of you guys for the great response so far, and to let you know that I sent an email to Bass Central, and Beaver said we could come out there, but I would still like to be able to do something where we can check out each other's gear to. Any suggestions would be great.

Grant

P.S. moderators please delete previous gtg post, and sticky this one. Thanks

2. Grant22

Oct 29, 2005
    Winter Garden FL
    I was thinking about trying to do this around the end of june/first of july.

Grant

3. check out gear, huh.... :help:

Ok, i'll bring my ONE bass.. Nick will bring the JB-2 fretless I sold him two months ago. I hope he's enjoying it!

Never been to Bass Central - heard lots about it, sounds like a good time!

4. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    Im having a kid at the end of june... hmmm... let me check some dates.

5. Grant22

Oct 29, 2005
    Winter Garden FL
    How about the last saturday in june, would this work for you guys?

Grant

6. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    You know I would so love to come, but I'm not sure I can get a ride, or even if my parents would let me go. Not that anyone would probably want some fifteen year old standing around. But still, I might be travelling that day. If not, I'll really ask if I can go. If someone could PM me more information about this, it would be great appreciated.

7. hey man that works for me.. looks like it'll fall on the 24th for those who are calander deprived.

-Ryan.

8. Grant22

Oct 29, 2005
    Winter Garden FL
    Not sure if I am going to pull this off, the reponses are kind of dying off.

Grant

9. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    I'd go to a GTG. I can use it as an excuse to finally make it to BC. I have a cupla often asked about basses I could bring, namely Brice Douglas 5s. Also a Millenium 5, US, poor man's 55-94 IMHO. Speaking of the Douglas 5s, I have two. One is the ash/maple, the other is LPB over alder, with a rosewood FB. I happened to notice that the alder one has the 60's P/U spacing, while the ash one has the 70's spacing. Funny that whomever Rondo had build those would bother to change the spacing for the different woods. Cool, but not what I had expected from a cheap bass.

10. billbern

billbern

Sep 11, 2004
    Daytona Beach, Fl
    Endorsing: Inearz In-ear Monitors
    Do you have any details yet? Looks like we'll meet at BC, then what? Is there some place to hang out and play? Looks like I'm gigless that day, so far. If we do this let me know if anyone wants me to bring something specific listed in my profile.

Bassiklee: +1 on the Millennium 5 plus, these are WAY underrated!

bill

11. looks like i'd be in. BC's gonna be cramped if there's more than 5 of us, though.

12. Grant22

Oct 29, 2005
    Winter Garden FL
    Sorry, guys, it looks like I am going to have to push it back, maybe the first saturday in august? Sorry about that for you guys that have already cleared that date this month. Let me know if you guys can do the august date. Would be the 5th of august. If you guys have any suggestions as far is a place to go to go and play or any other suggestions, please let me know. I was thinking maybe my church's gynamsium would work to go hang out and play.

Thanks
    Grant

13. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    First Saturday in August is no-go for me. Not that I have
    to be there, just saying.

14. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Bumping this to see if anything happened or if it is still in the works.

15. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Make one in the winter in South Florida and I can be there.

16. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I have an idea. It's been hard to get a GTG organized here in FL ever since Gard moved to NC.

I get the Michael Mannring newsletter, and on it he posts where he's going to be performing the next few months. Over the past year, I've requested that he visit us here in sunny FL. I even offered to try to help him organize the event. He said he'd be willing to come but he needs a certain number of people to show in order for it to be worth the trip. I don't remember the specific number he would need to attend a performance but for some reason I'm remembering either 50 or 100 paying people. We didn't get into specifics as to how much, where, etc..., but he seemed interested to visit.

Well I got busy at that time finally returning to my office that was destroyed by Hurricane Frances, and forgot about the whole thing until now.

Well. Would anyone be interested in combining a GTG with a Michael Mannring concert? Maybe a clinic if he'd be interested. It would motivate people to come. I live here about 2 hours from Miami and Orlando on the East Coast. I'm about 3 hours from Tampa, 4 from Gainesville. I could look into a local venue like a Son's of Italy hall to rent for a few hours. It could even be done else where, like a small hall or venue in Gainesville at the University or some thing like that.

I was thinking Michael Mannring because he's a one man show, we've had Marcus Miller, Stanley Clarke and Victor Wooten all within the last 5 years here. It might be reletively inexpensive to bring him here and different too.

Well???

17. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I think that's a great idea! It would all depend on the timeframe for me, however, since I'm in college fulltime. Are you talking about doing it in Orlando, or where?

18. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I'd be happy to do it any where it would get most of us there, be inexpensive to hold every one and be convenient for Michael Mannring. I would think near one of the main airports (Orlando, West Palm, Ft. Lauderdale, Jacksonville, Miami). I could see about local venues here on the Treasure Coast, but it would be a bit of a drive for most of you.

19. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    I'm game! A Michael Manring Concert and/or clinic, and a talkbass gtg to boot! I don't thing a sithspawn could stop me from attending!

20. tr68gt

tr68gt Acme Corporation Beta Tester

Aug 2, 2006
    Naples, Florida
    Hey Guys, I'm in Naples, but let me know what your plans are and I'll try to get away.