'Foam material for interior of case'

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by miholc, Mar 1, 2010.

1. miholc

miholc

Aug 17, 2009
    Hi there
    I am building case myself and I cant find that 'cloth', very smooth, soft kinda thing.. for interior of my case. I've been google-ing hard but I cant find anything.
    I guess I cant really express my self in English, guess that's the reason for my search-fail
    Do someone know some seller of 'this thing' on internet.. Help (links) would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. Blind Rat

Blind Rat

Apr 23, 2009
    Here
    Do a search for fake fur.

3. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    It's called "velour"

4. miholc

miholc

Aug 17, 2009
    Thank you all!!
    I'll post some pics when I am done :>
    Cheers!

5. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    I would love to see a case build thread.

6. jworrellbass

jworrellbass Commercial User

May 17, 2009
    Colorado Springs CO
    Owner, builder: jworrellbass
    What i've done is take a piece of 1/2" foam, glue it to a piece of cardboard (to stiffen it) and wrap it with velvet, then glue it down to the inside of the case.

7. Ruckus_Instrmts

Ruckus_Instrmts

Jan 5, 2010
    NEO
    Hey J
    What kind of foam do you use? And where do you get it?

8. jworrellbass

May 17, 2009
    Colorado Springs CO
    Just 1/2" rolled sheets from a fabric store. That's where I get the velvet from too. The outside of the case I use speaker cab carpet from a local car stereo installer. I've looked around locally for hardware and Woodcrafters is ok. But here's a link for you.
    http://www.reliablehardware.com/latches.aspx
    I havn't placed any orders from them...yet, but soon.

9. Hi.

Once again, a shameless push for my DIY case thread for ya all ;).

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=597684

Seriously though, I've seen only a couple DIY case threads, but a lot of questions regarding case-making.
    Even if it's just for shipping purposes, why don't You luthiers who turn out several basses a year, post what you use to protect your creations with?

Perhaps there could eventually be a case making sticky if enough threads are available.

I personally would like a traditional form fit case tutorial, a vac-pvc shell is beyond most of folks abilities/tools, and ATA style flightcase (like mine) is a no brainer. IMHO only of course.

Regards
    Sam

10. jworrellbass

May 17, 2009
    Colorado Springs CO
    As far as shipping, I just make a crate out of 1x4 and 1/4" ply, put bubble wrap under the body and packing peanuts around and on top of the instrument. Then use screws to secure a piece of plywood for a top. After that I cover the crate in cardboard and ship it.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021