Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Focus Faults?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by flatback, Feb 16, 2006.

1. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    Bolinas Ca
    Ok so I'm gearing up (ha ha) to get the new focus, but I'm hearing reports from some users of a muddyness or lack of clarity in the sound. Before I plunk down all my gear for the big sell off I want to know all the dirt...I'm borrowing a Focus this week to try with the LDS1x8 and Kolbe 12.
    But what are this amps faults? How does it compare to the Woods?

I gotta say for the functions I use, this new Focus seems perfect: The whole 2 channel thing with reverb (I often perform solo at my wifes modern dance concerts and end up with this big rack 0 gear just for a bit of reverb) The notch filter/high pass thing rocks (I use a preamp with this feature and I dont end up using EQ (pretty flat mostly) just this filter to adjust the bass/boominess) The Bionic size of the thing... and the headroom (which I've never had enough of)...It all seems so perfect...
    anybody got a better idea?

2. I'm not so happy with the preamp section of my Focus IIa. I'm getting a kind of "dry" and "thin" sound, and this is the reason i use other preamps like K&K, Tech21 Paradriver, Gigpro, with a strong preferance to the last. Maybe it is my bass that gives these results.
    On the contrary, using the focus with other acoustic instruments like classic guitar, jazz guitar, oud, etc, the sound is wonderful without help of external preamps.
    IMHO.