Fodera dilemma

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Humabass, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Humabass

Humabass Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    I have a problem. I bought this bass a couple of years ago and it has been sitting in the case. When I got it it was cosmetically about an 8 out of 10 due to two marks at the base of the headstock from where it had been hanging from a stand. The marks were actually all the way through the finish. It also had a nasty hum from the electronics. So I decided to send it to Fodera to have it "overhauled". The day it arrived Joey called me up and said he had it on the bench and had figured everthing out and determined that the Lane Poors that came with it were causing the hum. He suggested a set of Barts and I asked about upgrading the preamp since it had the original two band EQ version. I didn't want to spring for the Pope preamp so he said he had the version just prior to the Pope and could install that. He also made me a custom set of strings, 40-100 32" scale nickel roundwounds. He also said he could fix the marks on the headstock and a couple other small imperfections. I told him to go for it and he had it done in ONE WEEK. It was the best customer service I've ever received from a bass manufacturer. I got the bass and it sounds and plays absolutely AMAZING!!! Here are the details of the instrument: 1995 32 inch scale 4 string fretless Monarch Elite ,alder body,zebrawood top,Bart J pickups,Fodera 3 band preamp. Cosmetically it's now about 9.5 out of 10. So what's my problem? Well, I paid $1900.00 for it and just put $600.00 in it, $500.00 for the work,$100.00 shipping to and from. So I have $2500.00 in it. I asked him what he thought it was worth used and he said "maybe $4000-4500" :eek: I said"....uh.....what?" He said " yeah, it's an older one and I saw one go recently for $3900.00" It's the most amazing fretless I've ever played and since I have short fingers the scale fits me perfectly. My dilemma is to keep it or sell it. I'm not really asking anyone what I should do just sharing my anguish over having to be faced with this situation. I'm also wondering if any of you Fodera guys have any opinions about the value of this instrument.

P.S. Sorry for the crappy pics.they really don't do the bass justice.
  2. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    if the bass is great for you, and you really like it, dont sell it becuase if its the bass of your dreams then your not going to get another one even if you get that kinda money.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sell it? You're nuts.
  4. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Which option has the greater opportunity cost? Pretty simple question IMO.
  5. niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    If it's your dream bass, I wouldn't consider selling it despite the price you get for it. If you're looking for your dream bass, the sale of this Fodera could certainly finance that dream bass.
  6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Its a great bass. Why would you sell it?

If you are thinking for $$$$ reasons consider that it will only apreciate in value if you wait.
  7. rusty

Mar 29, 2004

Unless you're really hard up for the cash, it's probably a good idea to keep it.
  8. Keeep it :)....

Tho To Be Fare I really do not Like Zebrano / Zebrano Type woods.. I think they cheapen a bass personally...just my View..Amazaque i think is a lot nicer wood that has similar properties

but its Fodera.. :)..
  9. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Too bad the Lane Poor PU's went bad.
    I would actually see if you could get them back. See if they could be repaired.

Lane Poor PU's are hard to come by.

Oh yea, your crazy if you sell it. Just my 2 cents.
  10. Although I'm also not a fan of Zebrawood that's one sweet-looking bass. It's been said before... if it's truly your "dream instrument" you would be crazy to sell it just for cash. A year down the road you would be kicking yourself for parting with it, and probably never find (or be able to afford) another one.
  11. MyDogBo

Aug 25, 2002
    like folks said .. if you really like the bass then keep it....
    i don't think you could do any better for $2500 and honestly i don't think it you could find a buyer who'd be willing to pay anything near what you think its worth ... no dis intended ...
  12. Personnaly, if I love an instrument, I keep it!
    I don't want to cry later!
    IMHO, keep it!

13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is a really beautiful boutique bass. I know from experience that if you get rid of a wonderful bass, you may never replace it with an instrument that moves you equally. Unless you are truly desparate for cash, keep the bass. Play it and cherish it.
  14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Guess I'll go against the grain here;)

I don't get the impression that this really is "his" dream bass, even though it may be some of yours:). If it was there'd be no question of what to do with it.

Here's the thing about value... other than using it as collateral, it really doesn't mean squat unless you have someone willing to pay you that amount of money for the bass. That's what people consistently seem to either not know or lose sight of.

I know there was an excellent looking fretless 4 that languished for sale recently... at $2000. Factor in short scale AND fretless AND 4 string and I'd think Joey was being very optimistic on current value. IMO I think you'd do well to break even.

For $2500 I can think of a few killer fretlesses you could get your hands on, new. Even more, used.

BTW I'd get the original Lane Poors back, too.
  15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Not necessarily. It could easily decrease. It's a complete unknown.
  16. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Well said! Another thing to consider is that these high-end builder overestimate the used value of their used basses to make the new price of their basses look much better. Ken Smith is notorious for overvaluing his used basses, and you'd hardly have a prayer to try and get that money used. Nice bass though!
  17. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Give it to me for my Birthday! 9/01/85!!!
  18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I totally agree. Your bass is a wildcard. It *might* be worth $4000+ to someone who happens to be looking for that exact make, model, and scale length, but that's a crapshoot. IMO it'll take much patience to get that kind of money for your bass.

So, as many others have said: if you like it, hang onto it.
  19. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Dont sell a bass you love. Makes no sense. BTW, no way its worth $3900 A used Vic Wooten is about $2500, more of what your bass is worth. Good luck

20. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    If you have found an instrument that plays better than this one and suits your playing style more then by all means sell this instrument. Everything I own is for sale. I like all of my basses but I also know that I can always find a replacement if I sell one.

I don't love any of my equipment. In my opinion it is the best equipment for my purposes though. Amps, cords, and basses are just tools. You make the music not them. If you'd rather make the music through a Squire than a Conklin then go for it.

BTW that is a really nice fretless.