1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Food Hacks And Tips

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by StudioStuntz, Mar 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. :: gulp ::

Sharing my best food hack. It's: anchovy.

That's right. Pure magic for any dish. It will turn a sauce from blah to wow. And self-professed anchovy haters will never be the wiser. Use with discretion. And use the real thing: no "anchovy paste". Real anchovy packed in olive oil.

Cooks who are intimidated by the concept can take the easier route that involves no tiny fish fillets. Use colatura di alici, the modern day version of garum.

2. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
    If you want to hard-boil eggs and you don't want the shells to break, use cold water: add the eggs and bring the lot to the boil. Cook for as long as it takes, depending on your usual method, normally somewhere between five and ten minutes. No breaks ;)

StudioStuntz likes this.
  3. StudioStuntz

StudioStuntz

Jul 19, 2015
    Many Italian salad dressings secretly contain them, especially those from Italian restaurants.
    Just yesterday I ordered pizza, and was searching for anchovies on their list of toppings and no-go!

I always use them in pasta sauces when I'm near the end of sauteing the garlic, as they melt easily.
    On rare occasions when I'm out, I've thrown in a tablespoon or two of authentic Asian fish sauce, not as good, but in a pinch...

I think most don't like the saltiness as opposed to the actual fish taste itself.
    I've heard that soaking in milk for five minutes alleviates that problem for the skittish.

Thanks for the CDA recommendation, I'll look for it.

Tom Bomb and Morrighan like this.
  4. Tom Bomb

Apr 23, 2014
    Fish sauce and Worcestershire sauce both have those little fermented fishy fellows on board — they are the epitome of salty ocean-going goodness.

Another tip, from the same chef who gave us the boiled egg routine — I think it was Nick Nairn, this time concerning custard:

Get your usual mise en place together, whatevs, but keep the milk separate. Bring the milk to the boil first, while you're combining everything else. Just as the milk comes to the boil, bung in the lot — that way you're not standing, stirring the custard, forever, waiting for it all to boil. Continue as normal.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    StudioStuntz likes this.
  5. Tom Bomb

Apr 23, 2014
    If you're partial to beans — kidney, butter, pinto, black, navy, fava, etc. — and you're a half decent cook but you don't particularly like being a monumental methane menace — there's no scapegoat, no slobbering St Bernard to blame — just change the water a few times when you're boiling up a batch. Wash all that wind away. Otherwise, by all means, fire away! Beans are a GAS! (Goodly and satisfying.)

6. Ironbar

Ironbar Banned

Aug 24, 2013
    Tigard, Oregon
    WHY?

7. StudioStuntz

StudioStuntz

Jul 19, 2015
    Bar-bets?

8. StudioStuntz

StudioStuntz

Jul 19, 2015
    This is pretty cool as it can be used for other applications as well:

9. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I've officially perfected this recipe!

The initial mix deletes the sugar and increases the salt.

Mix up:
    - 1 cup warm water
    - 2 teaspoons of yeast
    - 1-1/2 teaspoon salt

The second part substitutes bread flour and deletes the olive oil.

In a large mixing bowl:
    - add 2 cups bread flour

I now make two smaller, thin crust pizzas with this dough. After the first punch-down, I split and quickly knead the dough into two balls for the second rise. I've also started using cornmeal, a pizza stone, and the highest heat setting my stove has (550F). I swear I made the best pizza crust I've ever had last night...in my oven! Check out these crust bubbles!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Oddly, D M C and Lobster11 like this.
  10. D M C

D M C Oh good god, this again? Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    On the threshold of a verge on the brink.
    ^^I wanna try this when I get back to making pizza. I need to lose 50 lbs or so before that happens though.

elgecko likes this.
  11. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Here's my first shot at a loaf of bread. Bam! :cool:

IMG_20190420_220711.

PMagers likes this.