1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For $89, it was tough to resist...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dark Horse, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Squier Standard Precision Bass 5 string... Black metallic sparkle. Seems like a good deal, so I bought it.

Attached Files:

2. Miskatonic

Miskatonic

Sep 15, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Grats on the cheap find! Question though, how is that a precision bass with two jazz pickups?

3. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    Body shape... Though I've never seen that configuration before.

4. Yeti_carnage

Yeti_carnage

Apr 20, 2014
    Looks like a great base for a frankenstein.

5. themarshall

themarshall

Jun 26, 2008
    cochrane wi
    Hey, I've got one that was just like that. I removed the stock pickups and went with first a Morch soapbar then a Wylde/Lawrence P46 in the P position. Now it's always 1 or 2 in the rotation. Probably 1 as it is always in a gigbag ready to go.
    I feel like I overpaid as mine was $125, iirc.
    Enjoy that Sasquatch approved neck.

6. bassvi

bassvi

Jul 12, 2005
    Iowa
    I love the wide necks on those basses

7. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    That was my first five string. The pickups needed a little tweeking and the neck was like I-24, but it was a very decent bass all in all.

8. Good deal!

I got a seriously beat on and dirty one for $40 once, good bass but damn that neck was to wide for me, 2 inches at the nut I think.

9. bobbybass85

bobbybass85

Dec 19, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I know another bassist who has 2 of those Squiers. They've been modded, but he prefers them to many of his much more expensive basses.

10. Nice find.

11. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    At $89 I GUESS it would be tough to resist! That looks like my "special" [two jazz pickups] precision bass 5 string which is what I think it is. Note mine (and most others I've seen around here) are going in the $200 range used!

Mine was burst. Problem with it was those jazz pickups don't quite cover the 5 strings leaving G and B a bit low. So I turned mine into a P/J by swapping the Bridge for a Dimarzio Ultra jazz (only takes a tiny bit of sanding to make it fit) and a new pickguard and a NOS Fender USA 5 string P pickup. Ended up like this:

[​IMG]

If you think this is not a killer Squier bass, you'd be WRONG!

God's Favorite Bass and bnolsen like this.
  12. bnolsen

bnolsen

Jan 30, 2014
    denver area
    Local GC had one of these for a while but at 179usd. I really liked the fretboard and how it played but the pickups seemed extraordinality weak and unbalanced and all the pots crackled. I now have a Squier Protone V in my hands with the same width fretboard...the pups are underwhelming but workable.

13. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Nice score. BTW, that bass is stock...yes the Indo standard Squier Precision 5 strings came with two J pickups....and oddly enough they're 4 string pickups. I bought a filthy one from a pawn shop, a good cleaning revealed a nicely figured fretboard.

14. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Thanks guys. Yep, its completely stock for now. I have a inexpensive 2 band (Vol-blend-bass/treble) preamp I may put in there just for kicks. I'll probably mess around with it sometime next week.

15. Nice find! I tend to shy away from extra strings but I woulda jumped too. Maybe under the same circumstances I will stick a toe in the water after all these years of just 4 strings...I know, I'm a bit of an anomaly but it's how I is. Enjoy it!

16. Is that the stock bridge on there?

17. Nice score - congrats!