1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For all those searching for Synth Bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by markjazzbassist, Sep 17, 2010.

1. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    I just stumbled upon this and am flabbergasted. 4 note Polyphonic Analog Bass Synthesizer :0

Roland GR33B Info

You need a Roland guitar (old one) to hook up to it, but DANG that's synth bass at it's finest. I'm kinda jonesing for one :)

2. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science!

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    That is pretty cool.

I've pretty much given up on "bass guitar triggered synth's" though. Honestly I've found that just buying a cheap keyboard synth, or key controller & soft-synth program, just work so much better! Tracking is always perfect, far more flexibility and it's more & more common to see the 'bassist' on stage with a small keyboard these days.

Of course, this is TalkBass! :p But, I sometimes think we're just making things far harder for ourselves with all of these gizmo's to convert string vibrations into synth sounds.

3. Holy cow!

GASGAGSAGSGAGSAGSGAGS!11!!1!!2!!!

4. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Very neat. Not really GASsing for it, but it is a cool part of synth bass history.

If it could take a straight 13-pin cable I might be singing a different tune though.

5. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    Awesome toy. :bassist:
    Ugly bass. :spit:

6. The GR33B had some awesome sounds but the tracking was very finicky and you pretty much had to use a Roland Bass controller and they left a lot to be desired.

7. Ugly Toy :spit:
    Awesome bass :bassist:

Back in the day I just wanted the cool-looking bass 'cause it wasn't yet another boring (traditional) shaped bass, and it wasn't metal (the only basses at the time that broke free of conventional shape constraints).

I still think they look cool, in a retro-nouveau way. Would be a great prop for an 80's cover band -- covers the look and the soundzzzz. If only they had today's tech back then, to solve the tracking issues.

My how tastes/times have changed. I'd rather have a "boring-looking" '66 P or J now.
    With the Roland bass in the closet...

8. Pandafist

Pandafist

May 6, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Uh... yeah... I'd rock the HELL out of that thing!!!

9. giacomini

giacomini

Dec 14, 2008
    Florianopolis - Brazil
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    +1. I'm GASing a lot for another Alesis Micron... Should never have sold that one... :bawl:

10. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    i think you have it confused with other roland synths. the gr33b and gr300 are the flagships of that line. they are heralded for having the best tracking. pat metheny still uses his to this day.

yes you have to use a roland controller, but what i'm talking about are the sounds. if you want your bass to sound like a moog which many on here have posted, this is how you do it.

MattBza likes this.
  11. MattBza

MattBza

May 19, 2015
    Any of you fellow Gr33b enthusiasts have any ideas on repair of unit? My low E string is producing an out of tune note when run thru the synth, I don't know who even to bring it too, though the look on their face might be worth it, Thanks

12. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I agree, but the other day I was going through some old rehearsal recordings (I've been lazy and ended up with about 15 hours that I haven't reviewed yet) and in many cases I couldn't actually tell whether I was playing bass guitar or synth...

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021