1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For cryin out LOUD

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by EddiePlaysBass, Mar 12, 2019.

1. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    The average "loud" band members don't even listen to anything we play on the bass. Nothing. They just want to feel the bass, not hear it.
    IMO- ANYBODY who plays too loud is typically not a musician on any level, they are just a hack.

2. EddiePlaysBass

EddiePlaysBass

Feb 26, 2009
    Belgium
    Haha, sorry it's more of a blues/jam band, or at least that was the intention. Funny thing is, the guitarist does not boost his solos. I consider myself somewhat lucky, I guess...

MCF likes this.
  3. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Our lead guitar player used to run 2 amps in stereo and he would put one of the cabs on my side of the stage right beside my bass cab. If it was too loud I would just point his cab directly at him. He caught on after a while. Doesn't do that any more.

EddiePlaysBass likes this.
  4. EddiePlaysBass

EddiePlaysBass

Feb 26, 2009
    Belgium
    I may just suggest we switch sides. Ultimately, it could turn out there's too much bass in his side of the room, but I doubt it seeing as how my cab is mostly pointed towards me. And still I hardly hear myself - with an Orange Terror 500 and a Barefaced cab ..

5. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    I always find that I hear myself better with my amp across the room from me rather than near me. Even with it on a stand, the bass tones don't have a chance to develop in the short distance when it's near me. Maybe the same with you guitarist?

Chains and GManfromOz like this.
  6. Fretted PBass
    Ampeg SVT II pro
    6×10 Fridge

The End

7. Yet another testimony to the value IEM. The future is now.

Runnerman likes this.
  8. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    Wow, you’ve given them at least two months more than I would have.

pcake and LBS-bass like this.
  9. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    I know. I like them, personally, and the drummer is giving me other work.

MCF likes this.
  10. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    OP that sounds like a PITA situation. If it were me, I'd go in another direction fast and let them know why. Maybe one day they'll listen and learn to take criticism and constructive advice. IMHO musicians like that are on a dead end street to nowhere.

11. I hope you're wearing hearing protection.

I avoid guitar-centric bands like the plague. For every "adult" guitarist out there, there's a thousand d-bags who can't help overplaying at deafening levels.

12. The latest project I joined, a three piece, really surprised me. They came and saw me play with my family three piece which is two acoustic guitars and vocals with the drums being just a cajon with kick and snare pedals. We're really quiet on stage and I only use my little Schertler B10 combo's DI and as a monitor.

For our first jam they said to just bring the little Schertler. Sure, it's a 300w little beast but i thought that there's no way it'll be loud enough with a drummer and guitarist doing 70's and 80's rock so I packed my bigger amp just in case.

I needn't have worried. These guys know how to play quietly!
    The B10 was more than enough with the guitarist using a small 30w tube only turned up to about 1 or 2 aimed at his ears. Some songs are sounding good, some not-so-much due to the guitarist doing so much solo stuff over the last few years, but the hang and the volume are so good i'll give it time to gel properly.

EddiePlaysBass and MCF like this.
  13. Nevada Pete

Nevada Pete Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    He probably just forgot. If you keep reminding him, it will eventually imprint. Good luck!

Cosmo_Smallpiece likes this.
  14. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    What's with all the passive-aggressive stuff? No one willing to stand up to protect their ears and reputation as a musician?

spencer096 and StatesideRambler like this.
  15. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    Have issues with sound ruining your day is not what I call low maintenance....

16. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Simply turn your volume all the way down for about 5 songs. At the end of the 5th song ask them if they liked that run you did coming out of the bridge in the last song.

When they say "Yeah that was awesome!" THEN you can spring it on them that you haven't had you bass turned up for about a half hour and nobody in the band even noticed. Then say "I'm gonna go take a piss while you guys talk about that." and walk out. Don't come back for at least 5 minutes.

17. mwbassace

mwbassace

Jul 26, 2010
    N.W. Ohio
    If these other ideas don't help then I'd crush them with your volume cranked as loud as possible. When they complain come back with a witty repartee.

18. "Dude, turn up your bass, we can't hear you!"

19. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    or don't turn your amp on at all, then ask how they liked the run you did :D

EddiePlaysBass and two fingers like this.
  20. I swear all guitarists are deaf. Especially when there are two, they try to out-do one another. This is why I don’t play loud music anymore.

LBS-bass and GManfromOz like this.