1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For cryin out LOUD

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by EddiePlaysBass, Mar 12, 2019.

1. GManfromOz

GManfromOz

Jul 27, 2016
    All I can say is "ditto". Sometimes I think I should have just stayed at home .

2. Maybe change the EQ on the guitar amp? I used to play with a loud guitar player. I would play the volume wars with him at first, but eventually gave up. At our final gig together, the sound guy walked over to his amp, turned the bass knob down to about 8 o'clock and turned his volume UP. He then said "You don't need that much low-end", pointed at me, "That's why he's here". Sound guy got a big tip that night.

Jakeman and EddiePlaysBass like this.
  3. 12BitSlab

12BitSlab Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Sometimes the only winning move is to not play the game.

4. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Nope. No thanks. I simply refuse to play with players such as that.

buldog5151bass likes this.
  5. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    Or at the very least, have a very inaccurate view of how it sounds to others. It definitely shows that you aren't listening to everyone (anyone?) else.

6. Chains

Chains

Jan 22, 2014
    How loud is your drummer? Seems like that is first question that I would have.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  7. Tommy V

Tommy V

Feb 19, 2019
    Spartanburg, SC.
    as an old guitar player, i understand the need to crank up.. elevating the cab to ear-level usually solves the problem.

ObsessiveArcher likes this.
  8. EddiePlaysBass

EddiePlaysBass

Feb 26, 2009
    Belgium
    At some point we all started wearing hearing protection, cos we're playing loud. I honestly think that is part of the problem - they proceeded to crank the levels similar to pre-protection levels to make up for said hearing protection :bored:

I've done the assertive thing a few times: "Hey guitarist, you're too loud, and your ears are not located at ankle-level." For some reason, that did not work.

Agreed - I was having a bad day overall. This just made it worse. But in the grand scheme of things, this is a low maintenance band.

Indeed, I refuse to play the volume game.

He's about as loud as the average average drummer (not a typo there). But I rehearsed with him in the same room, with different lead and singer and we never had this sort of issues - so it's not him.

You are a rare breed, then. This one simply does not get it. Worst thing is, he used to play bass! I expected more from him :D

ObsessiveArcher and Tommy V like this.
  9. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    I agree. There are a lot of folks who “play” guitar vs. those who listen to the band, play with the band, and make their guitar sing.

BassGuyFL likes this.
  10. Basic thing that I believe helps
    Volume wars a lot is to practice like you play. As in set up like you do onstage with all amps firing the same direction. Often times at band rehearsals bands set up in a circle and stand in front of their amps with their amps facing in so everyone’s amp is blowing by their legs and across the room are too loud for everyone else. For my band our louder guitar player is on the other side of the stage so his rig isn’t firing at me. Our singer who keeps his amp on the same side as mine, just uses a little 112 combo so the guitar isn’t stupid loud on my side. As far as guitar players having too much low end. I just make endless jokes about how they secretly want to be a bass player until they do something to fix it.

11. hangman

hangman Supporting Member

If you want to stay with this group, you really need to get earplugs. And I mean quality, musician’s plugs, not foam.
    The thread at the top if this forum has good information. Please protect your hearing/inner ears.

EddiePlaysBass and Nevada Pete like this.
  12. rollerskatedog

rollerskatedog

Apr 28, 2012
    Cincinnati
    In the same situation. It’s frustrating as a mf. Both guitar players have been playing longer, but I have worked my arse off the past few years and have surpassed them in terms of knowledge on recording, eq, dynamics, live sound, etc... Even in terms of volume aNd rhythm guitar playing. Yet they blow it off as an insult or it is inferior information.

Leave them behind, my friend. I will be doing just that after our last wedding gig in June this year.

EddiePlaysBass likes this.