1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For Mark King fans

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Mar 21, 2006.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Awesome video, awesome player! very good stuff!

Nice basses too, those Statuses (or should that be Statii!)

3. I love that song.

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Geez! He seems to expend zero effort whilst playing! I swear my elbow feels like it wants to fall off after 5 minutes of hard slapping! Dude is real nice! I dig!!

5. That has got to be one of the greatest slap tones ever. Status basses slam!

6. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Been a fan for 20 years, never get tired of hearing him play!! Thanks a lot for the vidoe man, made my morning.

7. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

And BTW, I think that Mark's tone is better than ever. In his Level 42 days, he was more prone to effects (like chorus), but now he's just pure, aggressive slap! This video, the "Live Ohne Filter 99" DVD and the "Live At The Jazz Café" CD showcase the best MK tone ever to me.

8. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Mark's in fine shape, but the others need to work on their stage demeanor.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Wow... modern Mark King makes me consider the fact that I have a new favorite slapper... damn

10. Man, those blue LED's are even brighter than the Aguilar ones, and those blind people in the crowd! Crazy!

Mark King continues to amaze me.

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I agree, his tone on the Ohne Filter dvd is amazing.

12. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Wow thank god for this ...most dudes here on TBs only exposure to Mark is through that godawful video (from basslobster I think) which to be honest is a travesty...he must've had an off day on that one.

Seriously though..Mark is incredible, I've seen him live on many different occassions and yeah he can slap like a mother... but whats often overlooked is his fingerstyle which is AMAZING.

I've said it before but the live album "A Physical Presence" is a must own for any bassist.

13. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    Thanks for this! I've played that tune in bands for years and have heard many different King-versions of it - this is by far the best, though! The band as a whole are pretty untight, but Mark's da man!

14. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    +1, but make sure you get the remastered one, 'cause the original CD release left off Mr. Pink and a couple of other important tunes.

15. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Vernon Porter and I used to sit around for hours listening to it on vinyl, trying to cop his chops...I later found it on cassette, but it was missing some tunes. Then I later found it on cd, but I suspect it was burned from the vinyl...I need to find another cd...

Also, Live at Wembley is a great VHS of them. Mark King is still the reason I play bass today.

16. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Here it is, with all the tracks.

An absolute masterpiece.

17. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    The man is a god, but would it kill him to add some lowend?!

18. Mabis2012

Mabis2012

Mar 25, 2006
    Ummm .............:confused:

19. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I would say, "Touche'", but you used it prematurely. You're new at this, huh?

20. Mabis2012

Mabis2012

Mar 25, 2006
    i would say you're new at listening to Mark King, probably never seen a live show, never heard him in a rehersal, well me old matey i have and let me tell you he doesn't need any extra low end!
    he's the King, how dare you! ;)