Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For those who use 2 pups...

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by NickyBass, Mar 4, 2006.

1. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    I just ordered an Underwood and am using a Realist pup. I love the Realist sound, but wanted to get the Underwood for a little more volume when needed. I have a 2 channel AI amp and was thinking about using both channels and have independant controls for each pup. Would I have phase problems with this setup? What is everyone else doing? Would I be better off with a preamp blender? I was even thinking about an a/b/c box to get different sounds on the fly...for arco, pizz.

2. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    The Underwood might not be the best pickup for blending, since it is out of phase with many other pickups including the Realist.

A friend blends just a little Fishman BP-100 with a Realist on his Morelli to give just a bit more edge for jazz pizz. This works very well, and and his bass sounds wonderful.

3. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    That's what I was afraid of. What about a preamp that allows me to flip the phase of the Underwood? That should work, no? I actually don't need them both at the same time. I just wanted the Underwood for more volume on certain gigs.

4. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    try only installing one side of the underwood and letting the other side dangle... or try a bass max...

5. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    An outboard preamp with a phase reverse switch should work just fine.

Bass Max is also out of phase with the Realist.