Formula E - The cutting edge of Electric Vehicle technology

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 48thStreetCustom, May 10, 2018.

1. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    I think this is super cool. All the cars are aerodynamically identical and use the same batteries, so it puts a huge emphasis on gearing and powertrain design. So Formula E is innovating technology that's trickling down to street cars.

But the fan boost is pure BS. Winning should be about the driving and the cars, not popularity. Save that BS for American Idol.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    steve_ss and Stewie26 like this.
  2. steve_ss

steve_ss Shiny, let's be bad guys. Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2016
    Southern NJ, USA
    I've been watching Formula E for a few years now. Very exciting and f***ing fast cars. Next year they are making battery updates that will remove the need to change cars halfway through the race. The future of auto racing.

48thStreetCustom likes this.
  3. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Oh wow! It's my understanding that the limits of battery technology is the thing holding back consumer EVs.

DirtDog likes this.
  4. steve_ss

steve_ss Shiny, let's be bad guys. Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2016
    Southern NJ, USA
    It's more like the limits of consumer 'affordable' batteries that's holding things back. The tech is already out there, it's still the cost that limits things.

The thing that worries me the most, what happens to my antique 1934 Packard in a few years when gasoline is gone and everything is battery? I'm not installing a huge battery pack in a 6 volt 85 year old car.

fhm555 and 48thStreetCustom like this.
  5. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    I don't think that'll happen. I think EVs will eventually be 90% of car sales. But then internal combustion cars will be for
    aficionados and connoisseurs. It might even be a good thing because manufacturers could do away with all the computer technology and go back to making cars that the average owner can work on.

6. The transition from ICE to all electric vehicles will take a few decades so I am thinking gas will be around for many decades to come. As demand decreases, I would imagine the price will go up. But that should not be any big deal as collectable cars are usually not driven like a daily driver.

7. Mercury - Get to know Evie - How she was made wonderful

8. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    No worries, convert it to ethanol and build you a still.

9. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Same here. If Formula E can do for battery technology what it did for transmissions, that would be something!

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 28, 2022