Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fostex MR-8 (cheap!)

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Stephen Soto, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Ok, on musiciainsfriend it is $250. Is this recorder any good. Actually, if it goes back up to $300 i'll think about it, maybe used. The Fostex MR-8. Thanks.

EDIT (kinda to SMASH): *Actually, if it goes back up to $300, i'll still think about it, maybe used.

2. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    I've had mine since Sept 16 and I have recorded over 30 hours of music with it, some great jam sessions were captured during that time. You can do all the basic operations after a speed read through the manual and you can get the more complicated stuff after your new toy fascination dies down a bit and you take the time to really read the manual. Also, if you plan on doing any big recording, or multiple recordings, make sure you get a bigger flash card, because the stock one only allows you to save and convert about 6-8 minutes of audio on the highest setting. The internal mic kicks butt by the way, most of my recordings were done with it because I can't afford any microphones that do as good a job as the Int Mic.

3. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    I have a slightly biased opinion, try and keep that in mind.

4. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    How much is a bigger flash card? Sell me yours :confused: :D

5. Macron69

Macron69

Mar 24, 2000
    Puerto Rico
    Well, i got mine the other day, and it's cool. I have no experience with recording equipment or technique so this will be my first dive into recording, but i found out pretty easily how to record a bass line. Might post some progress with this machine later.

6. SeeSharp

SeeSharp

Sep 26, 2002
    Georgia
    Buy a Digidesign MBox with Pro Tools for about $400 at Guitar Center.

~C#~