1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Frank Zappa Hologram to Play Live

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MonetBass, Sep 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
  2. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    Needs way more air quotes. Or Frank's ghost showing up and telling us how he really feels about being exploited by the corporate music machine after his death. Ain't no "Live" to it (and not much "hologram" either) just some sort of recorded image that's a whole lot easier to push around than ol' Frank.

Roland GR 88, JimK, GregC and 2 others like this.
  3. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug

I think it's better in theory than in practice.
    You'll get the tight band playing the great music but you won't get the spontaneity of a real Zappa performance.
    It will be two dimensional IMO

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    JimK, ahc, T_Bone_TL and 1 other person like this.
  4. RobBottom69

RobBottom69

Aug 2, 2012
    SF Bay Area
    I just shared this on my Facebook page. As someone who didn't get Zappa until recently, I think it could be cool to see Hologram Zappa.

5. ptg

ptg

Mar 16, 2008
    I think most people will see right through this.

Bob_Ross, NJRG, ahc and 2 others like this.
  6. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Haha - nice. :)

ptg likes this.
  7. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    I've been a Zappa fanatic since 1982, and I'd love nothing more than to see a live performance of Joe's Garage (one of my "Mt. Rushmore Of Music" albums"). But that being said, I'm on the fence about hologram performances. The bottom line is, you're only watching a pre-recorded performance no different than watching it on a screen or a TV.

But to be honest, yeah, I'd probably spring for a ticket and see it.

8. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    Somehow, I doubt Frank would approve.

Roland GR 88, ahc and MonetBass like this.
  9. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I'm just glad I saw him in 1972.

JimK, ahc and MonetBass like this.
  10. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Adrian Belew posted this on his Facebook page on Sunday:

I think of Frank Zappa as my mentor. I realize I can never repay him for the opportunities he gave me. to be honest I played a very minor role in the Zappa universe and have always felt I get more credit than I deserve.

still, I jump at any chance I can to praise and honor Frank. so when one of his sons calls me to explain a possible concert series 18 months in the future, I am willing to listen.

in our brief conversation Ahmet explained the holographic concept and asked if it was something I might consider being part of. it didn't occur to me that Frank's fans might find it distasteful. admittedly I didn't think that part through.

I told Ahmet if I felt strongly it would be a great way to celebrate Frank's music, yes, I would consider being part of it. he asked permission to use my name in the announcement and I gave him permission.​

A couple of hours later he posted this:

here are my final thoughts on the entire Zappa affair: respectfully count me out.

I will not be playing Zappa music in the foreseeable future in any situation.

this whole thing is far too caustic and divisive.

I will say I have always admired Dweezil for playing his father's music and playing it so damn perfectly. I remember time spent with young Moon and how much I really liked her. recently I met Diva for the first time (she works on Billy Bob Thornton's tour) and she was very nice to me. though I have yet to meet Ahmet in person, he too has been nice to me. earlier this year he asked me to write liner notes for the upcoming Zappa Halloween box set and he treated me respectfully.

I do know one thing: Frank loved his family.

I have many positive creative things to do. I hope you all will enjoy them. none of them will have anything to do with the current Zappa universe, but I will always revere and love Frank.

fhm555, GregC and MonetBass like this.
  11. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Yep...nope

Anyone who can imagine 200 Motels could never be done justice by a trick of light and a recording.

An animatronic dessicated corpse puppet in the image of FZ with an equally worn and rotten guitar would be more in keeping with the attitude and vision of the original Zombie Woof.

Not to mention I saw the Hank and Hank jr "tribute" with Hank as a hologram and it was indeed very hollow.

MonetBass and Lobster11 like this.