1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Freak out

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Chili, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    Does anyone know of the band which did this song? also who is the bass player? man can he groove

2. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I think you're talking about Le Freak by Chic, with the late great Bernard Edwards on bass. Probably a Fender Jazz or a Music Man Sting Ray on that tune.

Lyrics go something like

"Awwwww Freak out! Le Freak. C'est chic. Freak out. Have you heard about the new dance craze? Listen to us... I'm sure you'll be amazed...."

Peace,

James

3. I thought Edwards used a B.C. Rich Eagle with a Precision pickup--or was that just on stage?

4. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    i saw the music video just before, cant remember what bass he was using but it deffinitly had p pickups

thx for your help aswell :)

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I was hoping this was a Zappa thread... :(

6. MR. AMERICA, WALK ON BY
    YOUR SUPERMARKET DREAM
    MR. AMERICA, WALK ON BY
    THE LIQUOR STORE SUPREME

7. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    Bernard Edwards rocks - check out "Good Times" as well :)

8. terrelli721

terrelli721

Mar 19, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Bernard Edwards my man. He is the master of staying in the pocket and holding it down. Don't let the era of disco fool you either. He was one of the greats!!!!

9. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Never seen him use a jazz bass, I do believe Le Freak was done with an early B.C. Rich Eagle. I saw them live in Milwaukee when Patty Labelle opened for them and sure enough he used the Eagle but on a stand was sitting a Music Man Sting Ray, white with a black pic guard.

10. KennyN

KennyN

Jul 20, 2005
    NYC
    March 1998 issue of Bass Player had a full transcription of Le Freak, plus Nile Rodger's notes on the recording of the song. The song was recorded using Bernard's favourite natural finish Stingray, with old roundwound strings (he only changed them when he broke a string), plugged straight into the board. Bob Clearmountain helped in the mixing.

Bernard Edwards - A true genius. One of the most underated players of all time in my humble opinion.

Your jaw will drop when you hear the track "Everybody Dance" by Chic. Incredible playing.