Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Free Ear Training Software

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Bassist4Life, May 2, 2005.

1. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Hello TB'ers,

I was doing a search today to get some solfege material for my students at school. I found a FREE ear training program at www.solfege.org

It looks pretty good and I'm downloading it as I write this. The program is called GNU Solfege. Has anyone given it a try? I've tried other ear training programs before, but they've been time limited trials or limited function versions. This one is fully-functional free software.

I'm gonna go install and give it a try, but I wanted to share this link with all of you. I hope it's good.

Joe

2. good stuff im about to try it out too hope its nice :)

-if i find ad/spyware u will be in much trouble ;)

3. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I just installed and uninstalled. The program didn't have any problem installing or uninstalling cleanly. Phew! I just didn't dig the interface. It seemed a little strange how it was all set up and the chord symbols seemed strange to me. IMO, it wasn't very intuitive. The program launched in DOS. A DOS window ran in the backgroud stating how there were errors reading a certain font and starting this or thing or that thing. I'm okay at using computers, but this was beyond me.

In short; it installed, I tried if for a few seconds, didn't like it, uninstalled it, and everything is fine. It wasn't worth my time. I've tried other ear training programs that are amazing and easy to use.

Peace,
    Joe

4. good thing i didnt download it yet heh

5. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    http://www.miles.be/

Check this out : Functional Ear Trainer - two versions basic and advanced. You can change it to show the solfege syllables or note names within a given key. Can't reccommend it enough....some interesting articles there too.

6. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Just to put ya at ease in case you wanna give it a whirl. I did an AdAware Full-System scan after the uninstall. No spyware found. :)

Joe

7. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I am downloading the software right now. Thanks for the great link! The website is pretty good too. There are some nice articles on ear training to check out.

Joe

8. Well, being a GNU software, it uses GTK, all the fonts stuffs can be ignored.

90% of the time, its whether you can use something which is non-intuitive and free, or good and commercial. :D

9. just downlaoded this, just what i was looking for in a ear trainer, my guitar teacher tried this out on me a few years ago when i was taking lessons, once i figured out how to set it to play one note it is good, hehe