1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Free Helix Wal patches for your Flea samples [humbuckers needed]

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by plasson, May 6, 2020.

1. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    TL;DR
    I'll trade all the Red Hot Chili Peppers' Blood Sugar Sex Magik Helix patches I'm currently working on (including all future updates) in exchange for a few short samples of you playing the songs listed below.

Songs
    [see attachments]
    The Power Of Equality [~102 bpm, E string dropped to Eb]:

- one clean, loopable section of the verse
    - one of the chorus
    - one of the outro (this is extra, but please try to play it dirty-ish, letting the Eb string ring a bit)

Suck My Kiss [~102 bpm]:

- one clean, loopable section of the intro
    - one of the verse

Funky Monks [~88 bpm]:

- one clean, loopable section of the verse (doesn't matter which bit, keep it simple with few fills)
    - one of the chorus
    - one of the outro (please play it in first position, using the open G and D strings)

Requirements
    - A bass with two humbuckers (one for Funky Monks). Ideally, it would be a StingRay HH, a Warwick Corvette $$, or a G&L L-2500 for POE and SMK, and a StingRay 5 string with the parallel/serial switch for Funky Monks.
    - Low action and pretty heavy touch
    - A decent audio interface, going direct into a Hi-Z input or through a clean DI
    - Fresh strings

The long story
    I’m creating some patches for the Line 6 Helix which I’m eventually gonna put up for sale. Specifically, these patches try to emulate Flea’s tone on the album Blood Sugar Sex Magik.
    A huge part of that tone is the Wal bass pickups he uses (which I’m trying to emulate with the patch together with the amp/DI setup), but the result is going to be completely different whether the patch is played with a single coil or humbucker bass.
    I’ve been looking for a humbucker to rent or borrow, but with the lockdown I can’t find anything anywhere, so I thought of something: what if I offered someone on Talkbass all the free patches from this project in exchange for them to record some samples for me that I could study and build my patches on? I'm currently using a Jazz bass for this, but I need more sonic perspectives.

I talked with the mods and they said it's ok to post this here.
    Please let me know if you have any question about this, or just get in touch if you want to record the samples and I'll provide further instructions.

Attached Files:

2. Redbrangus

Redbrangus Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Under The X In Texas
    If you say so, but I don't get the relevance to either amps or cabs. Just sayin'.... :D

3. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    Hha, I was talking about posting about what might apparently look like a commercial issue, not the section.
    I posted in the Amps section cause the Helix is an Amp simulator, but if the mods feel the section is not correct, by all means move it around (I wouldn't know where else though).

4. Redbrangus

Nov 19, 2018
    Under The X In Texas
    Yeah, I guess I get that part.

5. Redbrangus

Nov 19, 2018
    Under The X In Texas
    Maybe you could post it in a simulation of a Talkbass Forum? :D

6. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    I'd have to to build a patch for it first...
    tenor.gif

mikeswals, Jacobfred and Redbrangus like this.
  7. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    I'll add one thing:
    if any Wal owner is interested in providing samples and get the amp/DI/effects presets, I would love that too.
    Clearly, you wouldn't care about the whole part of the presets that simulate a Wal bass...

8. Do I get a free dog so I can simulate being a flea?

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  9. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    I believe I'm not allowed to ship living prizes.
    Gotta ask the mods.

S-Bigbottom likes this.