Free The Tone Black Vehicle

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 999Brent, Sep 15, 2018.

1. 999Brent

999Brent Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand

Awesome sounding overdrive and distortion, check out how touch responsive it is.
    Going to have to try it out I think.
    Pretty up there in price though

foal30 and loopee like this.
  2. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home
    Free the Tone makes some exceptionally good effects. But the price tags have been know to induce nosebleed in some people.

“So it goes,” like so many other things in life.

BrentSimons and 999Brent like this.
  3. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    That’s a pretty cool OD... tickles my gas a little.

4. benhill1982

benhill1982

Sep 12, 2016
    Give there’s a heap of SVT type Pedals available, how do you think this compares to the bunch? (Especially anyone who actually owns one)

5. Ok, so I picked up one of these, thought I'd share my experience.

As an OD;
    Very flexible. Does the grindy power-tube drive very convincingly. I like it for low-gain especially. I didn't find the lack of a mids knob to matter at all, I could dial in the tones I wanted regardless. The drive character worked with my other drive/fuzz pedals and all of my amps.
    As a Pre-amp;
    Ok so I like to run a drive pedal at the end of my chain to go to FOH. Thought I'd try it with a tube slave (200w). Just the BV, a comp into tube slave. It was excellent. I could get a well defined, punchy drive sound with ease. I could get a well rounded grind tone without losing my bottom or turning into a wall of mud.

The boost is so flexible, being able to configure it as a clean or dirty boost, volume boost or cut, makes it pretty handy.
    I wouldn't say this pedal is good value, it's bloody expensive! But I like this pedal a lot. A keeper for sure.

6. Ok, so I picked up one of these, thought I'd share my experience.

As an OD;
    Very flexible. Does the grindy power-tube drive very convincingly. I like it for low-gain especially. I didn't find the lack of a mids knob to matter at all, I could dial in the tones I wanted regardless. The drive character worked with my other drive/fuzz pedals and all of my amps.
    As a Pre-amp;
    Ok so I like to run a drive pedal at the end of my chain to go to FOH. Thought I'd try it with a tube slave (200w). Just the BV, a comp into tube slave. It was excellent. I could get a well defined, punchy drive sound with ease. I could get a well rounded grind tone without losing my bottom or turning into a wall of mud.

The boost is so flexible, being able to configure it as a clean or dirty boost, volume boost or cut, makes it pretty handy.
    I wouldn't say this pedal is good value, it's bloody expensive! But I like this pedal a lot. A keeper for sure.

s_wood and loopee like this.
  7. s_wood

s_wood Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Delaware (USA)
    I WOULD say that this pedal is a good value because it does both low gain OD and medium-to-high gain very well, in the same pedal, with each having its own footswitch. Two pedals for the price of one, and really useful for smaller boards. Absolutely a keeper! Really surprised that there isn't more of a buzz on TB about these.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  8. moon-bass

moon-bass They call me El Jefe .. El Jefe del funk Supporting Member

May 10, 2004
    USA, New Orleans
    Resurrection time! Anyone compare this to the FTT Bass Blaster? Is this "the same with more?". I've been looking at the BB for low gain, touch sensitive OD and wanted to see how the BV compares.

9. markmck79

markmck79 Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2013
    Texas
    I was hoping it was “the same with more” but I keep returning to my BB. I won’t get rid of the BV and I do think the tonal possibilities are greater with the BV, but in a live context the BB is just perfect for me.

moon-bass likes this.
  10. moon-bass

May 10, 2004
    USA, New Orleans
    Yeah, that's what I have heard - the BV doesn't quite capture the magic of the BB. I ended up ordering a BB today. Pricey, but should be worth it!

markmck79 likes this.
  11. markmck79

markmck79 Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2013
    Texas
    The Bass Blaster is my reigning OD champ for several years now. I’ve tried several different things but nothing has been able to knock it off its throne. Pricey, but definitely worth it…

foal30 and moon-bass like this.
  12. moon-bass

May 10, 2004
    USA, New Orleans
    Considering all of the OD pedals that I have bought recently, it will be a bargain! Thanks for your feedback!